• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I seem to be stuck @ 261 FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mentaL704

Ok, I have had my chip running at 261fsb for awhile now. It runs great. I fold alot with my main comp too and load temps are between 42-44c. When I take it too 265fsb (3.2) It boots, but gets very unstable. Im using stock cooling and voltage. I have bumped the voltage up and no luck. I know my ram can handle it, cause I have had it at 460mhz before. Its only at 416 right now. So its not the ram. I have heard or read that anything over 1000fsb you need better cooling on the mobo chipset. Is that whats holding me back? I plan on getting better cooling very soon. I want to get this chip to 3.4. I have a no-name psu and I have been told that may be the reason. Anyone have any ideas??

I have probably answered my own question, but any other help is appreciated. TIA guys!

I have a 2.4 that will only do 261 also. I have come to the conclusion that is the limit of my chip. I can get it to 265 with one stick of ram but the 4 mhz is not worth not running dual channel. Some 2.4 will just not get passed 260. I am not saying this is true about yours but it has been the case with many.

my sl6wf week22 won't post past 255mhz, but i'm thinking it's an is7-e/memory related problem... what model 2.4c you guys running?

Have you tried uping the AGP voltage? i needed to use 1.6v to get past 280fsb. I removed the northbridge heatsink and used artic silver 3 and added a 40mm fan but the temps actually got worse. So I believe heat is probably not the problem as I have had mine past 300fsb with my 2.6C with Asus probe reading around 40-43C. What are your motherboard temps?
If that doesn't work then better CPU cooling may help. Also put your memory to 266 and try again just to rule out the memory, I know you say your memory is good for DDR460 but was that in Dual Channel mode?
Good luck with your OCing

BT

There are benefits to additional northbridge cooling, but at those speeds, I doubt it's the main problem. Of course the PS could be part of the problem too if it's really wimpy. But this really sounds like a RAM/chipset conflict which is common with i865/i875 chipset mobos. I would visit the Asus motherboard section and see what they recommend for the best BIOS update and try that. It's tough to run high FSB and high RAM overclock with dual channel. What chips are used in your HyperX RAM? If it's CH-5, they are know to sometimes be problematic. The best appears to be BH-5 chips.

I have my AGP voltage up to 1.6v already. Like I said it boots fine at 265fsb. But, it gives me problems in games and 3dmark. I had the ram at 1:1 ratio @ 460mhz so I dont think at 5:4 @ 424mhz it will give me a problem. Maybe my chip is just getting to hot. I need better cooling and a good psu, not a no-name. Anyone else have any ideas.

TIA guys!

mental, i am 95% sure its your ram. i have the exact same problem with mine, wont get past 261 (mine shows 262 on boot actually.) no matter what settings in bios i cant get stable any higher

i did have a chance to test out some buffalo pc3700 (bh5 chips) and did indeed boot at 270+. returned the ram for other reasons but i knew then that it is my hyperx (ch5 chips) that is holding me back

Derivative said:
mental, i am 95% sure its your ram. i have the exact same problem with mine, wont get past 261 (mine shows 262 on boot actually.) no matter what settings in bios i cant get stable any higher

i did have a chance to test out some buffalo pc3700 (bh5 chips) and did indeed boot at 270+. returned the ram for other reasons but i knew then that it is my hyperx (ch5 chips) that is holding me back
hmmm....I thought I had bh5 chips. I just got this ram. I really dont have a reason to return it. It does its spec speed and some. Well, I have to get better cooling anyway, so Im going to get that. Then if that doesnt work Ill try the ram again :(

Probably get some mushkin sticks. Have to wait till I get paid.

Back