• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overcloking newbie help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natibzzzako

Hi! im new here in the forums and also know not much on overclocking

i wish wondering if u can help me overclock my CPU and and my bus speed.

here are my specs from wut I've checked:
P3 933mhz 256mb ram 133mhz(soon to be 512mb/1gig ram) and Asus CUSL2/Intel 815 board

here's are my questions

1. how do you overclock? is it by software or hardware? I've heard you can do it in Bios settings? but I havent seen any option there to overclock

2. how do I know if im doing my overclock right without breaking my CPU?

I really wanna learn how to overclock, so If you can direct me to a helpful site or guide it would be really appreciated! thanks in advance!

Generally you need to read the overclocking stickies and cooling stickies all over the board. And I mean read! I read for 2 weeks straight when I was thinking about overclocking. Once you get a general idea of how to overclock, then ask w/ a specific question pertaining to your hardware. Reading before also helps you with your wallet while you overclock. It helps you to make the right decision to purchase the right components for overclocking so that you don't waste money and you keep the parts you bought working so that you don't have to buy it again. So short answer to your "can you help me overclock?" would be yes, go read. A lot:)

Yes, you can overclock that motherboard. It's done in the BIOS in the CPU menu. You generally cycle through the clock settings until you find "user define" then that allows access to the FSB (system frequency). You probably won't get a lot oot of your system, the P-III 933 is not a good overclocker since it's already using 133 FSB and it's getting close to the limit for the core anyway. But. you should still squeeze a little out of it.

Reading the stickies, and the old articles on the overclockers.com home page will keep you occupied for a while. Then you can search the web for other overclocking guides. I also recommend reading the BIOS guide at lostcircuits.com, it has a good section about memory timings and cycles. I know it seems like we're asking you to go read alot, but overclocking runs the risk of damaging (possibly) expensive hardware, and we don't want you just jumping in withoutenough knoweledge. I was a member of this forum for about six months before I tried to overclock much of anything. We don't want you to go out and brreak something because al you knew about overclocking came from a forum post by someone like me, who isn't very good at transmitting complex ideas through writing (or even at having complex ideas). Worse yet is the "d00d, raise the FBS and rock on!" That is, answers from people who don't really have any idea of what they're doing. Luckily you came to these forums,and already got good answers. You got the standard go look up mre info, then ask us about what you don't understand or for more information, and you got some specific things about your board. Do a little research to make sure you know what you're doing and understand the risks.

Done? Intel machines (at leaast those made after the pentium) are overclcoked by FSB only. The Front Side Bus connects the processor to the North Bridge. On very old boards and on slot processors there was a backside bus. That connected the CPU to the off-die L2 cache. Batboy says that your board has selectable FSB. The Idea would be to raise te FSB a little, check for stability, then raise it a little more. COntinue until it becomes unstable. Try adding more voltage (a little at a time) to your RAM and/or processor to make it more stable. Don't try for too much on you first try, just get the hang of it. Between speed bumps I usually run prime95 in torture test mode for 30 minutes to get an idea of stability. When you've reached what you think is your stable limit, run it for 24 hours or so. If you encounter any errors or freezing, back dwn your OC, or try raising your voltage. memtest86 is a good program to test the stability of your memory. Because I'm obcessive, my final stability test includes 24 hours of memtest86 running all tests, 48 hours of cpuburn and 5 days of prime95. Yhroughout every step, remember to keep an eye on your temps with a program like mbm5. You should find out what good temps for an OCed P3 933 are. You mig also want to consider upgrading your HSF.

Back