• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have an idea, let me now what you guys think.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AL Romero

I have been thinking of watering my PC to cool it down and get rid of the noisy fan system I made. I have a small office fridge that is just big enough to put a 24 pack inside. I was thinging of making a water system with an in/out line to place my radiator inside the fridge to keep it at a low temp. Then I could feel my CPU 30F-50F fridge cooled water. I could get rid of my CPU fan, and turn down my case fans so I would be pretty quiet. Im getting excited just thing about it. The only thing that worries me is that the water might be to cold and condensation my form on the water lines and drip onto something. That would not be good. Id like to keep the fridge cool enough to cool my beer still too. As it is the fridge is right next to my PC so I wouldnt have to run very long lines.
What do you think???
AL

Yuriman:
I dont know. I think so cuz the damn thing is set to 3/4 mark and I had to turn it down a little cuz I blew up a coke I had in there.

Dozier:
I too was thinking of insulating the exit from the fridge to the PC. What do you mean condensation prevention??? How do I go about this???

Being in refrigeration, the only way to stop condensation is to insulate the cold from the hot.When a cold surface is in contact
with hot air it causes moisture.:D To stop this effect you have
to Isulate/Insulate the two from each other.THE FANMAN:cool:
PS:The insulating Q might get better results in the extreme
cooling section.:D

It won't work...

I tried the same thing and was very disappointed. The fridge can't keep up with the constant heat.

Here's mine...

fridge1.jpg
fridge2.jpg

I tried it with the fridge empty and it didnt work at all. Then I thought that if i fill it up with cans of soda, the cans would help "hold the cold". They did, for a few minutes, then it slowly started warming up and within a couple hours, all the cans in the vicinity of the radiator were warm.

I seen a post here at the forum on using a mini fridge and it involved unbolting the cooling coil and submerging it in a tray/resevoir of water. Thats about the only way you can get one of those mini fridges to cool your water.

By the way, mine can also chill a fridge full of soda to the point of bursting, so the fridge works fine. It's when you factor in the circulating warm air that it cant keep up.

This is about finding the point of inflection, if you circulate the water and chill it before turning on the CPU, you might get it to work since the whole system is cool then, and the fridge has to sustain that instead of cooling down hot water. adding mass inside the fridge should work, you could put the radiator in a container full of chilled water. the idea is not to cool down hot water, but to never let it get really hot.

emilio

that what i was going to do. put the radiator in a tube of water and then put the tub in the freezer section. i was going to put auto anti freeze in the water to make sure it didnt freeze over too. i just dont know anything about keeping moisture off everything from condensation.

Back