• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is a pelter???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AL Romero

I have read threads that have people talking about them, but I dont know what they are and what they do???

they are heat pumps, which operate using some funny physics.

they require a lot of electricity, but pump the heat from one side of the peltier to the other side. so one side gets really cold, and the other side gets really hot.

here's the peltier section of overclockers:

http://www.overclockers.com/topiclist/index21.asp#PELTIERS

this is how a peltier is used:

PeltDiag.jpg

here's a picture of 3 peltiers mounted on some waterblock:

chen5.jpg

edit:

YellowDart said:
A pelter is somebody hurling projectiles at another :D...

LMAO :D:clap:

Last edited:
AL Romero said:
I have read threads that have people talking about them, but I dont know what they are and what they do???

A pelter is somebody hurling projectiles at another :D... a peltier, however is what he said ^^^

There's this really hot girl in my school named Monique Peltier. A tip for all you nerds out there. Don't talk about scientists to really pretty girls that you don't know, they won't be interested in how smart you are! :)

tom10167 said:
There's this really hot girl in my school named Monique Peltier. A tip for all you nerds out there. Don't talk about scientists to really pretty girls that you don't know, they won't be interested in how smart you are! :)

LOL, you'd be amazed what some girls will say. It just depends on how you word it to them.

tom10167 said:

What, "Hey Baby, I got a peltier cooling my cpu, but you're just heating me up." didn't work?

When current is fed into a peltier device (AKA ThermoElectric Cooler, or TEC), the device creates a temperature differential. It acts as a heat pump - energy is moved from one side of the device to the other. This creates the effect that one side of the TEC gets cold and the other side gets hot.

TEC's in PC applications are powered by power supplies. Sometimes you can run a TEC off of your PC power supply, but often times you need a dedicated power supply. Here is an example of peltiers used in PC's and a dedicated power supply for a TEC: http://dangerden.com/mall/Pelts/peltiers.asp

How do you know what power supply you need for a certain pelt?

You look at Vmax and Imax. Vmax = voltage maximum in volts;Imax = current maximum in amps.

When you are looking at a peltier to use, these values will be listed, as you can see in the link I provided. Vmax is the maximum amount of voltage you can give the peltier without destroying it. Imax is the current the peltier will draw when powered at Vmax.

For example, if you power the 226 watt TEC on the dangerden site with ~15 volts, it will draw ~24 amps. If you would power the pelt with ~12 volts, it will draw closer to ~20 amps - and there are equations you can find to figure out how many amps will be drawn at a certain voltage.

Now that this is clear, all you need to do is find a power supply that is rated to supply ~25 amps on its 15 volt line, or ~20 amps on its 12 volt line, and so on... find a power supply that can give sufficient current (amperage) at whatever voltage you would like to give the pelt. Notice that the meanwell psu supplies the correct current and voltage needed for the TEC's requirements.

[I specifically mentioned 15 volts and 12 volts because those are typical voltages people use to power the 226 watt TEC which is the only real choice for a modern OC'd cpu.

Rule of thumb: 2(processor heat output) = (minimum wattage of TEC needed to cool processor).]

I'm convinced that talking about something scientific is definitely the wrong way to pick up girls.

after all, you are trying to make them turn off their logical judgement, and turn on their emotional/irrational side. :p

tom10167: dont' give up, persistence counts! :D don't talk about something scientific next time though.

This is why I love this Forum: we have discussions about the thermal properties of all sorts of materials and scientific inquiry (wonder what happens when I do this...) into heat removale AND love advice from ahhh....shall we say...the technically inclined:)

Back