• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4-M and regular p4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I sersiouly doubt it. The power requirements are different, and I am assuming the pins are too. If they were interchangable, we would have seen some people use the p4M to crunch seti a while ago in their desktop rigs.

Intel® Pentium® M Processor Datasheet states that the cpu is available in 478-pin, Micro-FCPGA and 479-ball, Micro-
FCBGA packages.

So why are any intel users using these cpus and seeing how far you can oc them.

They do cost a lot but imagine if they oc well too!!

he's talking about the p4-m i believe, i'm not sure if it'll work, but i doubt it will unless that laptop also has options for a p4-m cpu. p4-m has speedstep and some other things the p4 doesn't have so i'm not sure if it'll work. i doubt it will.

Dc5e said:
he's talking about the p4-m i believe, i'm not sure if it'll work, but i doubt it will unless that laptop also has options for a p4-m cpu. p4-m has speedstep and some other things the p4 doesn't have so i'm not sure if it'll work. i doubt it will.

opps well to properly use a p4m you need to look at your chipset which controls speedstep for it. you might be able to do it.

People are using p4-m's in desktop boards and I would imagine a regular p4 might work in a laptop if the bios can handle the default voltage.

Yeah, basically if you put a P4M in a P4 board without speedstep it will stick on a 12x multi - thats fine in a desktop (run 200FSB like I am) but in a laptop it will slow you down.
Pentium M aka Banias, Centrino, will not work in a P4 desktop or laptop board, the pinouts are different and it will not even physically fit due to 1 pin in the corner.
There are Pentium M desktop solutions appearing as cack01 has pointed out - heres another one http://www.radisys.com/oem_products/ds-page.cfm?productdatasheetsid=1158
:D Cheers

Back