• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest86 Freezes at 98% Pass

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ritalin

Hey people!
After i run memtest for about 10-15 minutes, it gets to 98% Pass (first line on the top right). However, it will just freeze (if i press "c", nothing will happen) and ill have to reboot...
Help please
Ritalin

well it also didnt work that well on stock...
it had 1 Pass but then froze, the second time, it just froze at a random point...
Ritalin

Hmm, if you are running @ default voltage, stock speeds, then you might have something physically wrong with your RAM. I'd let someone else chime in first, but I think it might be RMA time.

i'm not sure if this would help, but it's worth checking out (especially since it takes like no time at all) before doing anything as time-consuming as rma'ing.

my memtest86 would also freeze, and it was at the same point every time. it turned out my floppy disk that housed the memtest program was crappy. i put memtest on another floppy, and it's been running fine ever since. i even reformatted (full) the old disk, which blocked off the bad sectors, and then re-created memtest onto it (just to see if it would make any difference) and it also worked like a charm from then on. no more freezes. i'm not sure if the reformatting did anything (since it formats in fat and memtest formats to raw) but it may have just been as simple as the installer screwed up installing memtest onto the floppy.

oh i put memtest on my cd burner... i can't make the dvd-rom as master for some reason...
should i use the floppy instead?
Ritalin

Ritalin said:
oh i put memtest on my cd burner... i can't make the dvd-rom as master for some reason...
should i use the floppy instead?
Ritalin
Nope, the CD works just fine.

Ok well it seems it really craps on the 7th test.
I know this test is supposed to be slow so maybe im just being too impatient...
The test remains at 0% for a while but the thing on the top left keeps blinking under L2 or L1 im not sure...
How can i check if it froze or just is slow?
If i get nothing when i press "C" (no menu pops up), can i consider it froze? Or just it's really thinking hard?

Also i forgot to mention the timer stops when it reaches that test... I now have to determine if it froze or just is really really under load...
Ritalin

Back