• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you run Prime95 continuously to burn in memory??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
??

Just turn it on and let it run. It'll run forever until you get an error or manually shut it off.

Might want to set it to use most of your RAM too.

Wouldn't it be better to use Memtest86 to burn in your RAM anyway? I don't think Prime95 leans on the RAM very hard.

Ralf Hutter said:
Wouldn't it be better to use Memtest86 to burn in your RAM anyway? I don't think Prime95 leans on the RAM very hard.

Memtest86 is a better pure memory test, but Prime95 does put a very heavy load on RAM if you're not running the FFTs in-place (that's an option in the torture test menu). Since Prime also loads the CPU it will bring your case temp up, which in turn will bring the RAM temp up and could bring out some failures that memtest86 might not detect.

But since you will always use your cou while using your mem I suggest to you use prime95 couse in the end it's a full system stability you will be looking for. Run prim95 "blended" this will put a very heavy load on both your mem and cpu. If you can run prime 8h+ I'd say that you have a stable system. Some people may say 8h, 12h, 18h or 24h.

while prime is good for stability it is not too as good as memtest86 for burning in ram. You need to burn in the memory for days. In this case Prime95 could error out and your burn in will stop. At least with memtest you can loop it no matter if theres errors.

I don't have a floppy drive, so I can't use it. Prime95 is working ok for me, I've been running it for 24hr and upping the FBS so far to 230 next set 235.

I'm still sceptical about this burnin "thingy". In my opinion it's just another word for stability test...

scanido said:
In this case Prime95 could error out and your burn in will stop. At least with memtest you can loop it no matter if theres errors.

If the test is giving you errors, that's a pretty clear sign that something is wrong with your setup. Continuously running a test that's giving your errors, even if just for "burn-in," is not only unproductive, it's not particularly good for your hardware.

Perre said:
I'm still sceptical about this burnin "thingy". In my opinion it's just another word for stability test...

That's really the smart way to look at it. I don't think the argument over the value of burn-in will ever end. Someone's always going to believe in it. But it's always best to make sure your setup is stable before you even try burning-in.

I am not so sure if we should really count on Prime95 about whether the system is stable or not.

I've had this kind of situation with one AMD Barton system, it can run Desert Combat and NeverWinter Nights for hours no problem at all, but it will crash Prime95 within 20 sec. every time.

This maybe tell us that Prime95 is more stressful than those games, well what's the use of saying the system isn't stable if it will only crash a stress testing program?

Last edited:
yeah i dont exactly buy the whole burning in thing as it has never made my OC's better on any of my sysetsm, as long as it can run lan games overnight I dont care what prim95 or mem test says.

burning in has kinda worked on my RAM, it can run memtest longer before crashing, but it still overclocks really badly :(.... but thats just an example of burning in working

I'm running 235 FBS and been running the Prime95 for 8hrs with out any errors, timming is 2-2-2-5 but when I bump it up to 236 I get errors. Can I run Prime95 longer to help burn it in and then maybe be able to get it up to 236 or higher with out lossing timming. Does it afect the performance lossing timing? Say 2-2-2-6 or 2-2-2-8 vs what I'm running at now 2-2-2-5?

Back