• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

There's something loose inside my power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beavis

I just bought a Fortron 530 watt and when I took it out of the box I hear something rattling around inside. Is there any danger if I hook it up or should I just return it?

Well try to see what it is first shake it torwards on of the vents and if it's something that looks important like a capacitor or resistor then send it back. Most likely you will have to send it back. I have never had a PSU that rattled and I don't think it would be a good thing if I did.

Yeah I had something like that happen. But it happened after smoke came out of my PSU and a big blue arc. It ended up being a cap that had fried itself loose. everything else in the PSU came loose after i wigged out on it and swung it by the cables against a brick wall because i was kick butt in the game of UT i was playinf :mad:

Inside a cheapo PSU I once found a nut rolling around. It was for fastening a diode or transistor to the heatsink, and if I had run the PSU with that part left off the diode or transistor probably would have burned up, but I'd worry about any metal piece rattling around and possibly causing a short.

Can't Fortron/Sparkle PSUs be opened up without breaking a warranty seal?

I can't seem to sake it out, there's too much obstruction. This power supply has a lot of parts inside blocking the holes. I can't afford to take a risk so I going to return it, I just hate that I have to wait a couple weeks to get a replacement and lose out on return shipping. I have the worst luck sometimes.

9mmCensor said:
Yeah I had something like that happen. But it happened after smoke came out of my PSU and a big blue arc. It ended up being a cap that had fried itself loose. everything else in the PSU came loose after i wigged out on it and swung it by the cables against a brick wall because i was kick butt in the game of UT i was playinf :mad:

2 words: anger management.

Back