• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does my cpu need beter cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JayP

does my cpu need better cooling?

My Amd 1800+ is running at 2100+, idle temp is at 49c cpu and 29c sys. Core voltage is at default 1.50v. When I run Prime95 my temps get to 57c cpu, 33c sys. Does this seem a little hot for an AMD Athlon XP at 1.50v ?

right now i'm just using the stock hsf...

which hsf do you suggest?

how much can you spend? how long would you like to wait? i heard thermalright is going to release an AMD version of the SP94 sometime around christmas. Right now the best thing to get is the SLK 947.

if you don't have the four mounting holes around the cpu then the best thing to get would be an SLK 900A

and if u ARE getting a thermaltight cooler (which btw almost everyone recommends around here for awesome air-cooling) then get the thermaltake smart fan II for awesome features and functions but for maximum cooling (but noise) get either the 80 mm or 92 mm vantec tornado
________
*** Booty

Last edited:
and while you wait, change the tape strip and put nice compound like alumina, artic silver 3 or 5;)

what is yor total cooling setup? the cpu hs is a biggy ecpecally with amd stock hs withch sucks on evry amd. but the case has to nice and cool in order for the cpu to cool nicly.
stay away from 80mm fans even on the cpu hs put on min. a 92mm or add an addaptor for a 120 but for case fans use 120mm.
go get the sl947 its the best unless ur a zalmen person (they are over the weight limets really big and dont do as good of job)
but u tell us your budget and your curent stats all of them including cooling and ull get more help

Right now, my total cooling setup is this: two intake both 80mm;1 rear and 1 side blowing towards cpu, stock hsf and the psu fan as an exhaust.

On the top of the case there use to be 2 80mm fans but they were taken out. So now it's just a big opening with nice crome fan grills. I think my cousin had them as 2 exhaust, but it didn't make any sense i guess to have more air coming out then in so he took them out before he gave me the case.

I have a pair of 90mm fans stuck together that he gave me but don't know what to do with them. It is the kind that you screw into the cases pci brackets to cool the pci cards i think.

As for how much I would like to spend...about $100 canadian I guess. I also just bought a pair of rounded ide/ata cables today...very cool =)

Hopes this info helps...

I know you have a stock HSF setup. BUT what kind of load temps do you get with the case opened up and a fan blowing at the side of your case. Here's a link to the HS review.There are all types of useful reviews at this site to further your knowledge
base. THE FANMAN:cool:HS REVIEW LINK
:D

JayP said:
Right now, my total cooling setup is this: two intake both 80mm;1 rear and 1 side blowing towards cpu, stock hsf and the psu fan as an exhaust.
Hopes this info helps...

See that is the problem. The PSU is the only exhaust.

Try having the exact some amount for intake as you do exhaust ot have one less intake. Don't believe me try it.

I learned this the hard way. More fans exhausting air is better.

Does your case have room in the back of the case to cut a
4 inch hole.You need to have a exhaust in the rear other than the PSU exhaust.4 inches is for a 92mm fan. 3 inches for a 80mm fan.
Did you check out the HS reviews? Ck.out this place.:D
www.thermalright.com THE FANMAN:cool:

and if u ARE getting a thermaltight cooler (which btw almost everyone recommends around here for awesome air-cooling) then get the thermaltake smart fan II for awesome features and functions but for maximum cooling (but noise) get either the 80 mm or 92 mm vantec tornado

as i sed b4...tt sf II or for really silent, go panaflo..or maximum go a vantec tornado or a delta high rpm
________
Box Vaporizer

Last edited:
finally got another hsf, its a Cooler Master X Dream and it was $18 canadian! fan rate speed is adjustable from 2500-4800rpm. kinda noisy at highest speed though. since changing hsf my cpu is 42c idle, 46c load at top speed!!:D

yeah, but i didn't want to spend that much on this system...

i'm planning on getting a asus and a t-bred 1700+ by christmas time. with those two babies for sure i'll get a thermalright hs.:D

dont forget the psu, one of the major componenets needed for OCing, a fortron/sparkle 350w 12cm from newegg $42 shipped, most ppl reccomend this model, or if u need more wattage, go with the 530w model

fortron is THE best value for ur money, and u get a high-quality psu, close or equivalent to antec in some ways...u also get over-voltage protection with the fortrons/sparkles, a good thing
________
Liability Insurance Dicussion

Last edited:
Back