• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.5 P IV Question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jon-onE

Registered
When do you have to increase the agp and cpu voltage on a motherboard ? I know when it becomes unstable, but what do you do first and what are the risks ?
Currently I get aquamark3 crashing after its completed all tests because I have increased my p4 2.5 to 2.8 would increasing voltage help this become more stable ?
I am going to change my driver first (running cat3.9 just downloaded 3.7), but the most important question is...
.... how do I stick an avatar in my name ? LOL

Firsty anything under 1.65 volts is okay(in rare cases it destroyed a p4)....but you REALLY have to watch out for S.N.D.S(Sudden Death System)..which basically kills your p4 WITHOUT no warning. Heck it even happened to some users who didnt even overclock or increase voltages.
Try increasing the voltage(know the risks) and see if aquamark is stable..usually it needs voltage to stay stable
Iam not sure how to change ur avatar but its in the private messaging tab under profile....iam a new to ocforums too

btw welcome to the forums

up the CPU voltage one step once it becomes unstable, the AGP voltage.. dunno i dont touch that yet :p

you need 50 posts to be able to use an avatar :)

it's crashing now because your CPU overclock. so you don't need to increase AGP voltage yet. Just increase your CPU voltage slightly.

It could also be due to high temperatures, or unstable (low) voltages from a power supply. So check those as well.

the SNDS happened when people used 1.70v and up on northwoods. here's the original thread on it: http://forum.oc-forums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115166

risk from increased voltages: higher heat output -> higher temperatures, decreased CPU lifespan.

Back