• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Machine built

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AltersEgo

Registered
Hi Guys,

I just built a new machine and I have decided to go with the 2.8C. I ended up with a Malaysian SL6WT. I got the FSB up to 245 with a clock speed of 3.45Ghz at stock voltage. Do you guys think this will go any higher?

It may but cpu temps may start causing probs at about 250-260 without better cooling than you have because default v is going to have to be increased. I can post and load win2k but locks after 2-3 mins. with virtually the same setup. When I increase voltage it is stable for approx. 30-45 min. before lockup. I am going to water.

Mine has been up and running for about 2 weeks now. Although I did have it clocked at 3.53GHz at 1.65 voltage and it was running for about 4 days. I saw the temerature rise to 45 degrees celcius while using DVD2SVCD, so I dropped the voltage back down to stock and brought the fsb down to 245. The vantec fan is nice. It's not the quietest fan out there, but it runs at 5400RPM and you get 35.5cfm from it. Is 45 degrees celcius too hot for this processor? It runs at 25 degrees celcius while just running windows.

From what I understand, temps aren't THAT important. If your system is stable then you are ok. If your processor was running "to hot" then it wouldn't be stable...that is what I am thinking.

I'm not 100% sure about this and I am prepared to get shot down. Can someone verify my "thinking"???

45 degrees celcius on a asus board is nothing to be scared of.
I'm curious though, have you tested for stability? Ran 2 instances of prime 95 or used SANDRA burn in?

Also ur only at default Vcore.. you still got more headroom to push that thing, maybe another 100mhz more. ;)

From what I understand, temps aren't THAT important. If your system is stable then you are ok. If your processor was running "to hot" then it wouldn't be stable...that is what I am thinking.

I'm not 100% sure about this and I am prepared to get shot down. Can someone verify my "thinking"???

From my understanding, even if temps are not affecting the stability of your overclock, it is still wise to keep them down as they will determine the life of your processor ;). Eg - if your p4 is running stable at 60c i'd cool that sucker down, I wouldn't want it suddenly dying on me the next few months.

I wouldn't worry about 45c at all. That's a pretty nice load temp. Have you tried maxing out your cpu? Run p95 x2??? If it gets close to 60c it's time for better cooling, but I wouldn't worry too much if it stays in the mid 40's - 50'ish range.

NcBaller1985 said:

iv heard this too, and it makes sence to me, although i would still keep temps under 60C

Those temps aren't bad at all....but heres the thing.

What are ambiant temps? I mean, if its running at like 50C and it is only 25C in your case, thats a big thing. What happens when it starts warming up just a little. Ambiant hits 30C you are probably pushing over 60C CPU. Just a thought......

.... but then if he keeps the cpu under 50C then ambient temps doesn't matter :)

It seems to be running ok. 25 degrees celcius at idle, 40C was as high as I've seen it. That's when I was ripping a dvd with DVD2SVCD. Temps went the highest during video encode with CCE SP. I don't think it's very stable, Prime95 fails right away when I try to do a stress test. There is either something wrong, or I just don't know how to use the program. I've never used it before.

AltersEgo said:
There is either something wrong, or I just don't know how to use the program. I've never used it before.

Dude...in all honestly, I don't think you can use Prime '95 wrong. It is about as basic of a program as they come. I'm just pretty sure it's not you using Prime wrong IMHO.

To help out finding what is wrong you need to give us a little more info. What settings do you currently have??? How's your memory set up i.e. timings, etc.??? What is enabled, disabled??? Is your AGP locked??? Have you run Sandra yet??? Stuff like that is kind of need to know info to determine what may or may not be wrong. You gotta go through the process of elmination to find out your problem.

Last edited:
These are my settings as far as I know considering I am quite new to O/Cing.

FSB = 245
Ram is set to 400MHz (It is PC4000 which is rated for 500MHz)

These are the only settings that I have touched. Everything else is default.

Hope this helps

Back