• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8rda+ and barton not playing well together?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kosmic

Hi All,

I got a barton 2500+ a while back...can't recall the stepping on it at the moment. Anyhow, I noticed right away that with the barton in, the motherboard didn't want to do 200 fsb, but with my last two tbred b chips it did 205-210 fsb quite stable.

NOW, this *is* a revision 1 motherboard with an A2 northbridge. One of the first ones that was attainable when the 8rda+ first came out. All in all, I have been extremely pleased with the board and the fsb that it could hit without any VDD mods or even any extra northbridge cooling.

BUT, I want to be able to get this barton to run in the board at least 200 fsb, which just isn't happening right now. Everything with the set up has stayed exactly the same, except the Barton chip is in place instead of the Tbred Bs and now no more 200+ fsb stable. I can 3d mark at 210 fsb, but can't run stable at even 200 fsb.

Suggestions please.

I have tried removing the 133/166 jumper
I have water cooling on the northbridge now (cpu, nb, gup are watercooled)
I haven't yet removed the pci card from my 6th slot, but that was never a problem with the tbred Bs.
I'm going to put the old northbridge heatsink on the southbridge and get some heatsinks for the mosfetts.

I'm hopting that there is a "magical bios" that lets this board work better with the bartons, since I have proven that the board can run 100% stable at 205-210 fsb with tbreds.

Thanks,
kosmic

Last edited:
Have you lowered the multiplier? And on that note, are you running it at it's stock 11.5 Multiplier? It seems to me that most chips will run at 200 FSB as long as the multiplier sets it below it's maximum observed speed... it could just be that the barton won't tolerate that high of a clock speed... try 6x200 just for ****s and giggles.

I'll give that a shot. I suppose I could just have a bad barton on my hands. The weird thing is that I can 3d mark at 200 - 210 fsb with good overclocks, but with any extended gaming it will lock up.

Have you tried burning the chip in with high voltage yet? Turn up the voltage, just the volts, as high as you can get. Let it burn in for about 24 hours. Then up the FSB.

Back