• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choice of ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tsjarlie-wan

Registered
ive been upgrading my rig bit by bit and ive just recently got the MSI kt6delta fisr2 and have got a xp2200 running at stock,ive just ordered a 9800pro as im giving the g4 to the girlfriend,ive had the water cooling system in there for 3 months and will be oc the fsb when i get the the final bits.Ive just got one problem,i need some advice on what ram would be best to complete the system,ive had 512pc2100 in there for ages so ive never been able to squeeze much than 139 out of it.with my new mobo supporting 400fsb then i may consider grabbing a barton 3200 when the prices come down,any suggestions would be appreciated

dont get a 3200 too expensive and litlle headroom forv a good oc... try to find a unlocked barton 2500 or a 2800. for ram go for pc-3200 or pc3500.

are all 2500 and 2800 multi unlocked or is it just pot luck ?and wouldnt the pc3500 give me more headroom on the fsb

If your looking for Gaming and 3D Benchmarking performance you will want to select PC3200 or 3500 maximum. Look for low latency settings. Something that can run 2-2-2-5 is best. In 3D apps low latency beats insane bandwidth. DDR400 (PC3200) 2-2-2-5 beats DDR500 (PC4000) 3-4-4-8. I recently did a ton of research on this very subject and ordered 1G of Corsair 3200 low latency twinX. 1G is overkill 90% of the time (I run a ton of crap in the background all the time) so 512 is usually more than adequate. Probably 8 out of the top 10 on Futuremark's ORB only run 512MB. I'd stick to Corsair, Mushkin, or maybe even Kingston HyperX. I have heard average things about OCZ. But then again it is a bit of a crap shoot cause, like CPU's some just OC better.
Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

It depends on what your motherboard can handle first, my favorite ram is the Corsair XMS DDR400 3200.

I just got Corsair 3500C2, check sig. This is the Winbond BH5 stuff and will oc like a mother!

Rock on!! Any BH5 stuff is usually a good bet. I have always been really happy with Corsair, although Mushkin has been impressive (yet the level II stuff is horribly expensive). Hope my new stuff is gonna be good. Couldn't get my hands on Corsair 3500 low latency though.

just thought id keep you updated on the project,ive installed meself a hercules 9800 pro and im getting the xms3500 cl2 on tuesday,Something i didnt notiice was the fan on the card is neon blue,matches the rest of the case lights :) immediatly went from 10000 to 13500 on 3d01 ,cant wait to get that ram in there and start tweaking,once i get a stable fsb+ multi,im gonna think bout getting a liquid cooling block for the card on work on that :)

Last edited:
Back