• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows won't boot (even with disc)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acidburn2019

Registered
I recently bought an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe and have a Pentium 4 2.0 ghz processor and running Windows XP. I had it overclocked to 2.4 and it was running fine, no overheating nothing. I tried to push it to 2.5 and when windows started up it froze. Now when I try to start it it tells me i'm missing a file and I should use the install disc to try to repair it. When I insert the install disc and try to repair it tells me that I have no hard drives present. I have all the drivers installed for both the onboard Raid and an External Raid. When I turn it on it recognizes them both in a stripe array but Windows won't recognize them. I don't want to reinstall Windows as I have already used it 3 times so I would have to pay for a new registration code. Does anyone know what I should do?

Have you tried resetting cmos? This will just restore your settings back to defualt. It might help, it might not. It may be too late for that, I think the damage is already done. It sounds like a corrupted file on the hard drive caused by the overclock. You may have to reinstall windows unfortunately. Its wierd that its not even working with the disk though...hrmmm. Good luck!

Matt

I can't reinstall windows because anytime I try windows tells me there are no hard drives installed. And since it won't recognize them it won't let me repair windows or reinstall it.

remember when you first installed windows you had to hit F6 to allow you to install the raid drivers when you put in the windows cd? you need to do that again when you are doing a repair install. that is why it can't find your hard drive. it doesn't have any raid drivers to work with and can't see the drives ;)

Ok I feel like an idiot. That worked and let me get into the Repair console but now i'm having a new problem. When I type 1 and enter for which one to log onto, my hard drives spin down and stop and it just freezes there. Any suggestions now?

did you lower your CPU setting ????

if you still have the problem, format and redo everything over again.

have a good day.

Can't format. Already done that 3 times so now I would have to pay to get the new activation codes and stuff. And I don't have $89 to shell out for it.

You don't have to pay for it again. When it asks for a new registration code, call MS and ***** at them, they'll give you a new code for free.

Heh, if things really did work like that, MS HQ would've been bombed off the map by now.

the trick is DO NOT activate RIGHT AWAY

ONLY activate AFTER installing everything in your computer.

no. you just haven't wasted the activation in case something like the above crashes the system and you have to start over. I've reloaded my copy of Windows 4 or 5 times now. Once the internet ativation fails, it kicks out a 20 something didgit code with your computer ID based on hardware and askes you to call a 1-800 # for activation. Usually they'll answer with a minute or two and ask "whassup?" Tell 'em the truth, hard drive fail, overclocking failure and need to reload, etc. These guys have been around a while, and then he'll ask for the code on your screen and give you another one to type in. All done. Last time it took me less than five minutes.

Back