• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

License Plate Light Mod.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Orange Fire.

--------------------------MOD----------MOD--------MOD-----------------------------------
Hello have you ever heard of a License plate Light used for a Mod. Like getting the acual License plate light and putting it in your computer and using it as Lighting rather then buying Cold Cathodes. Well i have and i was woundering if the rest of you guyz have heard of it. The thing is i have heard about it but i dont know how to do it or get it to work.... If you have heard about it and you are familual with this mod and how much voltage it would take to power it and what thing's i would need to get it to work it would be most helpfull to me cuzz im doing the mod and i need help. Give me your input on this cuzz im going to buy one at Auto Zone tommarow and try to get it to work. Thanx

I really don't understand why? A typical licence plate bulb is 5-10 watts at 12volts and isn't very bright. You can buy a white cold cathode or a 12 Volt Fluorescent Worklight that will be brighter and depending on the voltage you feed it, you can regulate the brightness.

Anyway of you go for the licence plate light let us know how you make out. :cool:

There are lots of little custom light fixtures, mostly neon, in the auto repair shops. Don't really see much sense in the license plate lamp. The mod you might have heard about could be one of those custom lighted license plate frames, but I don't really see a practical way of using them in a case.

I saw a tutorial one time(I couldn't find it) where someone took a neon license plate frame and placed it in the bottom of the case. He was talking about pc mods before there were cold cathodes and mods made specifically for pc's.

It looked really pretty good. It made a lot of light. It would be easy to do. The frame had a auto lighter plug on the end of the wire, and the guy just cut it off, and soldered on a molex connector and plugged it in.

I'll keep looking and post the link if I can find it.

You could put in the bottom of your case for lighting instead of a cold cathode. Even though it put off more heat than a cc, I think it looks kind of cool, because it's different than what everyone else is doing.

You are pretty speedy, krakhead. I just found the zxmods tutorial right after you posted it. It wasn't the same one I had seen earlier but pretty much the same thing.

do you mean a light like this
light off.JPG

I picked this up for $12 cdn this fall and it is quite bright when it comes to lighting case interiors. I just soldered a piece of speaker wire to the leds, connected that to an on/off switch, connected to a 3 pin fan header, and plugged it into a fan power port on m mobo. works perfect on 12v

f00t, is that a wooden case, with plexi? must be like an oven in there.

but back to the original issue, like silversinksam said, i'd recommend a normal ccfl because they are cheaper, colder and easier to use. but if you really want the license plate thing, go for it, and send us pics!

mod on

Ok get this guyz i just came back from Auto Zone a little earlyer and i bought a 10" Neon Light. They dident have the License plate light in red so i just bought a Regular Neon Light. It was really easy to get it installed all we had to do was cut the Cig Lighter off and conect the wires to a Molet and wala there you have it. It give's off Nice lighting not like a CC when you buy a red one it look's pink.. This one is Solid Red it's Awsome! This one that i have is pretty cool cuzz it has a thing on it where when it sences base the light goes on it's Crazy everytime base hit's it flickers.... It's like sound operated... it's only and option though you dont have to have it sound sensitve you can just turn it on it's just a Switch. Some people said it would get hot with a Neon light inside my case but it's doing fine ive been checking it every 30 min's and the temps have been staying Stable 21c idle and it's just Air Cooled. no regulations in temp;)

Smirabi said:
f00t, is that a wooden case, with plexi? must be like an oven in there.

yes it is, I built it one monday afternoon (waiting to go home to build a really nive case). is it hot? yes, thats why i have the fan beside it blowing cool air into the case. case temp= same as room temp/ cpu temp (1800+ at 2300ghz/2v)= 50C full load

[edit]: 2.3ghz (were not at 2300ghz just yet)

Last edited:
Back