• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help setting basic FTP at college

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-N-

I'm living in the college dorms right now.
I set up a little ftp thing whenever my friends at another school want to download from me. The problem is I think our school's firewall blocks every outside attempt to get into our school network... it's wierd cause I can connect to other student's ftp's at their school but they can't connect to me. I'm pretty sure my ftp would work with people within the school dorms but other than that.. nope. Our school has some external IP that everyone sees, then there's the internal IP. none work.

any help plz?

Last edited:
-N- said:
I'm living in the college dorms right now.
I set up a little ftp thing whenever my friends want to download from me. The problem is I think our school's firewall blocks every attempt to get into our school network... it's wierd cause I can connect to other student's ftp's at their school but they can't connect to me. I'm pretty sure my ftp would work with people within the school dorms but other than that.. nope. Our school has some external IP that everyone sees, then there's the internal IP. none work.

any help plz?

It's strange that the FTP doesn't work within the network, it's possible that they have internal routers using subnets but it's not that popular.

You sure you are using the correct ports and giving everyone the correct internal IP?

sorry I edited the question to make it clearer.

I meant that people outside our school network can't access my ftp, but students within the school can.
;)

-N- said:
sorry I edited the question to make it clearer.

I meant that people outside our school network can't access my ftp, but students within the school can.
;)

I see..

It's doubtful that you can get a FTP site to the outside internet simply because the uni you are at will have toal control of what ports go where when communication is between "you" (the students) and "them" (the internet).

In short, Bone the idea, sorry :(

Unless you could find what ports if any are left open and configure your FTP to run on that port. Probably not, some schools are pretty strict with their goods.

i have the same problem at my school. What happens it that your school has a range or ip addresses that go through a gateway to access the internet. This range of addresses depend upon the school and is considered the external ip address.

The tricky part comes is that i think the school has an internal ip address. Since this is not part of the internet, the school can setup what ever subnets they wish and assign a variety of ip address. With the subnets, the school can also setup permissions for who can see what in various subnets. For instance, i have subnet 1 and subnet 2 at my school. Subnet 1 can host an ftp or a lan game for all users on subnet 1 to see, but those in subnet 2 are left out. This problem goes both ways.

This i would think is the problem. You need a static ip address for an ftp, and since you problem go through a dhcp server to access the internet, you may never receive the same ip address twice.

Now if you knew the network admin....

Back