• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

£150 FX 5900 - good deal or a dud?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeverSnake

Registered
I just noticed dabs have got a FX5900XT for £149.

This is a comparable price to the FX5700 and I was just wondering whether nvidia were being ironic and making their XT versions the equivelent of ATI's SE or whether this is a genuinely good deal?

They are kinda like ATI's SE.. Maybe they will make some called SE that are better than Ultra

I would look for some reviews of them, i doubt anyone has one.

An FX5900XT, I've never heard of. Here, I can find many models of the FX5900 with an "SE" suffix - this denotes that it's an FX5900 core (400MHz,) but uses only 2.8ns memory, giving it an effective memory clock of 700 MHz, as opposed to the standard FX5900 non-Ultra's 850 MHz.

I've heard of FX5600XTs, but they are 64-bit memory versions of the standard FX5600s, thus making them nearly useless.

My guess as to what an FX5900XT would be would be an FX5900SE with a 128-bit memory bus instead of the standard 256-bit memory bus. This would decrease its effectiveness quite a bit, if it were the case. I'd do some more research on it before thinking about buying one - funny, they don't even give a brand name or any info on it.

Allow me to append/correct my response here -
Albatron lists an FX5900XT.

http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/vga/specification.asp?pro_id=85

It looks like a plain ole' FX5900SE, but with only a 390MHz core clock (dumping off extra, reject FX5900 chips, perhaps????) Memory clock, from what my search turned up, should be the standard SE 350MHz (700DDR, of course.) Memory bus width remains at 256 bits. That's a plus.

AOpen also seems to offer one, but I can't find a good product link with some specs and whatnot...

Perhaps you should buy one and tell us all how it works out! :D J/K

Back