• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Santa test driving new sleigh brings me 3.0c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Startech

Santa stopped at an area dealer to test drive new sleigh and came by to bring me a P4 3.0c ;) (my wife doesn't believe me!)

I installed it last night on my IC7 with CNPS7000-Cu and seems I can take her to 3.4. Just run a couple of iterations of prime, I will run longer when I have some time. I suspect the CPU is holding me back because memory is at 5:4 2.5-6-3-2. Voltage at 1.575 setting .

When I run at stock I get 39-40C at iddle and 53C when running prime. At 3.4 the temps don't go much higher, may be 56C at prime load. This is as measured by hardware doctor.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I hear IC7 reports higher temps than real - may be 5-10C. Do the hardware doctor readings have the same error?

2. Are the temperatures I get average and safe with the CNPS7000-Cu?

3. I know 3.0c are not good OCrs. Is 3.4GHz a reasonable limit or is it possible to bring her up a little? I would like 3.5, but...

I'm wondering about two things first.....

what type of memory are you using?
also, what is you case cooling like?
(how many fans/what type?)

mica

micamica1217 said:
I'm wondering about two things first.....

what type of memory are you using?
also, what is you case cooling like?
(how many fans/what type?)

mica

Memory is Corsair a 2x512, TwinXMS1024-3200LL. Version before they changed timings.

It is a real super big case, 4 x 90mm in back, plus 2 in PS, plus one in 5 drive SCA cage. Case is open at this time. I doubt it would change much if I close it, but if you think it will make a difference I can try it later.

What is your system temp at load? My CPU temp runs about 18-20C higher than my system temp on my IC7-G mobo with an SLK-900, TT SF II, and AS5 (say something like 23C system and 44C CPU load). This is with the latest BIOS (I forget the version number).

2.5-6-3-2

do u mean

2.5-3-2-6

try it @ 2.5-3-2-7

i was reading up on how your lst number should be the = of the first 3 added up - this give better performance, otherwise you are cutting your cycles short and causing slower performance.

try to lossen up on your ram tming to see how high it goes, then once done - tighten them down again.

Mr.Guvernment said:
2.5-6-3-2

do u mean

2.5-3-2-6

try it @ 2.5-3-2-7

I am quoting in the sequence the Abit board has them in the BIOS. Why does Abit use a different sequence! I know it says what each value is, but that requires clear understanding of the meaning..

Update. I closed the box and set two of the rear fans closer to the CPU to full 12V. The other two on the rear top are still fed by the PS fan output and are turning at lower speed. I will probably need a fan controller. I dont like the PS thermal control.

I set the memory timings to 2.5, 7, 3, 2 (abit bios fields), that I hope correspond to 2.5-3-2-7.

Temps at 3 GHz

no load system=33, CPU=41, PWM=31
w\prime95 system=35, CPU=53, PWM=36

At 3.4GHz 5:4, PSB800, PCI Fixed, CPUv=1.550 setting, 1.52 HD

no load system=32, CPU=42, PWM=32
w/prime95 system=35, CPU=56, PWM=37

Right now I am running prime95 for a whileto be sure it is stable at 3.4.

My P4 is running @3.5Ghz with 1.600V and the same cooler as yours. I get 40-42C full-load (2 instances of SETI) with 20C ambient so it looks to me your temp are (reported) a little high...

so losening up on the ram timing seems to let you get more FSB?

it worked for me @ 8 instead of 6 on my ram - i got it to boot @ over 3ghz which i could not before (2.4a)

if it's an Abit board, yes, temps are off but,placement of the winbonds and the type of capacitors Abit uses is the source of the problem.

every board i come across has high system temps and its from the northwest corner of the maincard.

it's a small problem that can be solved with "good" case cooling.

i had to resort to placing a 80mm on top of my vga to blow directly over that NW corner till i got better airflow from more fans.

Abit has been using those same lowgrade capacitors for a few years now with no intention to use a better grade, so they are coming up with a cheap solution of placing some sorta cooling unit over the heat producing section of the maincard.

in addition i learn from my 1st Abit board that they consume more energy than other leading brand of maincards thus producing more power.

Lancelot said:
My P4 is running @3.5Ghz with 1.600V and the same cooler as yours. I get 40-42C full-load (2 instances of SETI) with 20C ambient so it looks to me your temp are (reported) a little high...

Yours is a 2.8 right? I wonder if the 3.0cs run hoter.

What is in my mind is if i left too little AS2 on the CPU. Initially I think I squized too much, so I went with a credit card like piece of plastic and spread it and removed most of on the edge.

Is my delta CPU_temp - Sytem_temp too high?

Mr.Guvernment said:
so losening up on the ram timing seems to let you get more FSB?

it worked for me @ 8 instead of 6 on my ram - i got it to boot @ over 3ghz which i could not before (2.4a)

Don't know. I was also able to get to 3.4 before I loosened the memory settings. At a point today I tried to get past 3.4 to 3.420, but the temp went up two degrees and I dropped it back to 3.4 for now.

So I do not know yet if loosening the ram timming helps or not.

vidgion said:
if it's an Abit board, yes, temps are off but,placement of the winbonds and the type of capacitors Abit uses is the source of the problem.

every board i come across has high system temps and its from the northwest corner of the maincard.

it's a small problem that can be solved with "good" case cooling.

i had to resort to placing a 80mm on top of my vga to blow directly over that NW corner till i got better airflow from more fans.

Abit has been using those same lowgrade capacitors for a few years now with no intention to use a better grade, so they are coming up with a cheap solution of placing some sorta cooling unit over the heat producing section of the maincard.

in addition i learn from my 1st Abit board that they consume more energy than other leading brand of maincards thus producing more power.

The case is huge. I have two 90mm rear fans by the board, but they are away from the board, like aligned with the edge of the adapter cards, so they are not necessarily taking a lot of air from the motherboard..

I wonder if they sell fan hoods or shells to direct fan (extraction) flow... I could use two of them to suck air from the motherboard.

i can imagine that 2 solutions will improve your temps by a few degrees.

going with the ductmod @ the rear with the fan blowing or extracting via that hotspot i mentioned-

if you have the window fan option, i think 40cfm of air or more should help significantly-

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-165&catalog=22&depa=1

take a look @ the illustration of what Abit may have plans for their boards in the future.

Abit are great boards especially for extreme overclockers due to the tons of tweaking options but they do require great power supplys& casecooling.

Startech, I think that your system-CPU temp delta (w\prime95 system=35, CPU=53) is pretty good at 18C. That is the same that I am getting with my SLK-900 and TT SF II. The part that really surprises me is your system temp, 35C. Mine runs about 23C. I do have a 120mm fan in the side of the case blowing on the NB and video card area of the mobo. You might try removing your case side panel, and hold a fan blowing on the CPU heatsink and NB. See how that affects your temps. If your temps improve, then you might consider installing the fan permanently in the side panel.

Thanks Edward2, I will not worry about the HSF contact and try to enhance air flow in the NW corner of the board. I need to decide if I build the air deflector myslef or buy or two of the kits for the rear fans in the motherboard area.

Back