• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any more places to get unlocked bartons?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PiMpShiN

I've done alot of searching and i did find a few places that still have some unlocked barton 2500+ in stock even one with the AQXEA stepping which i hear is pretty much the best one. But all these places are online have the ones who have the chip are fairly pricey.

Now im trying to see if anyone knows any more sites that carry some unlocked bartons online. Im gonna go check tomarrow at microcenter, compusa, bestbuy, and maybe fry'z if i have time.

Plus if we can get a good number of sites this can be a good reference for people in search of some unlocked barton 2500+

Locked new Bartons overclock higher, so since you have RAM that does dual 250 FSB at default, you can take it down a bit and hit 11 x [higher FSB than you have now] with a cheap locked Barton that has twice the cache of your current 2100+...

although, holy smokes dude, you're hitting 2473 AMD MHz, do you realize how high of PR rating that is, you've got an overclock that's way above average, old unlocked Barton may not be a thing for you.

Brand new locked one may result with a higher overall result in your case... good luck.

P.S. Posting cooling in your sig is more relevenat than hard drive info, imho.

AMD Athlon 2100+ AIUHB DUT3C @ 2.48ghz
- FSB 215 x Multi 11.5 1.85 vcore WOW

I think I will try that with the one I have in a gaming rig. Wish me luck.

good luck! thanks for the complements. Im cooling it using SLK-900A with 92mm Tornado and Arctic Silver 5. and i dont know if you would believe this but its at 33C most of the time and never goes over 42C.:) I've gotten to 2.5ghz before but my memory is holding me back for that.

Anyway, the reason why i want the 2500+ is because of the L2 cache.

oh and REMOVE where are you going to get that processor because i had to go through hundreds of cpus to find mine and if you know a place where you can get the same thing I would like to know because they may have the 2500+

These 2.5 GHz overclocks are very rare. It's always interesting to see what type of cooling was used, especially what brand of PSU this was achived. It wouldn't hurt to also mention how many hours of Prime these OCs passed.

It's tough to get a 2.5 with any Thoroughbred except for DLT3C B (not A) which doesn't come in 2100+ or 2400+ flavors so once you get a stable 2.5 with a DUT3C, which is incredibly rare, I would hesitate to so as much open my case, not to screw up that achievement.

But... unfortunately... more often than not, a DUT3C on air may boot into Windows but fails Prime or other stability tests within a short time.

Dude! If you don't want that chip, I do! j/k :D You're gonna be real real hard pressed to find any processor that tops yours. Give it 2v or so, and you could be cruising past the 2.6ghz barrier with some luck!

I don't quite understand why having an unlocked processor is such a big deal. It takes a little bit more luck to get optimal performance, but the 11x multiplier in the 2500+ and the 11.5x in the 2600+ are the two most commonly used ones anyways. You'd probably get better luck in the retail stores you mentioned, though, than anywhere else.

yeah im thinking about upgrading my motherboard to a abit nf7-s motherboard and increase the voltage and ive ordered some mushkin level II pc3200 memory (BH-5) so i can see how high i can get my processor and the performace of my computer. Im glad i found it but i kind of wish i had a dlt3c just to see what is its maximum potencial.

Also from what i am hearing it sounds like you guys think i dont need to get another processor wouldnt be necessary. But the only reason why im trying to get a 2500+ is the fact that it may perform better than my current one and get a better overclock.

If i dont get the Barton for my computer im thinking of getting it for another one im building. would it be more worth it to have a unlocked Barton 2500+ or a 1700+ JIUHB DLT3C?

Look at my sig to get an idea of how a DLT3C performs with 1.95v and watercooling. Your 2100+ is probably better than most DLT3C's and just about all Barton's I've ever seen. For your main computer, if you really are bent on more performance, your money would be far better spent in upgrading your cooling and performing a pin mod(no point in getting a new board for higher voltages).

For your second computer, go for a 2500+ or a 2600+, and don't worry about whether its locked or not. Look at the multiplier you're using right now: 11.5x, or the stock multi of a 2600+. I don't understand why everyone sees locked processors as being the end of the world. It doesn't really effect the overclocking process of a system at all.

Yeah, the only way this is a (big) problem is if you have PC2700 RAM.

thanks i may go for the 2500+ and i know where i can get some unlocked ones so it wouldnt hurt to get an unlocked one, but by getting one i would like to beat the performance that im getting from the 2100+ if possible.

Just out of curiousity if i get a 1700 JIUHB DLT3C would i be able to surpass the performance of my current cpu? and same with the barton 2500+. such as fsb and speed in general. This will probably be the determining factor for my new processor.

As for the upgrading the cooling i was thinking about getting the new water cooling from danger den so that wont affect me from getting a new computer,

People try to reapply thermal compound, they try to clean their heatsink, readjust a fan in hopes of squeezing just a little bit more out of their system and things get screwed up.

You have a decent FSB and a rare 2.5 GHz overclock, you made it man.

I'd wait for a really good socket 939 mobo to come out, so that you can upgrdade to a San Diego CPU one day or when the initial Socket 939 Athlon64 chips ocome out...

If you want an honest opinion, if I had 2.5 GHz with an above dual 200 FSB going on, I would sit back and enjoy what's one of the fastest Socket A systems out there.

how do I get to 3Ghz with a LOCKED 2500 Barton when I already bought a Peltier + Watercool rig even I max out my Abit NF7-S v2 mobo FSB=250Mhz (yeah right most I can hit could be 220-230Mhz zone) then it still does not add up to 3GHz, I know I can get the UNLOCKED one to 3Ghz if I can change the mutiplier to 13 or 14... That is the reason I am looking for a cheap UNLOCKED 2500 Barton, buy it at 120 - 130 bucks US from those store is really not worth it for me......:mad:

PS: I also owned 1700 and 2100 both T-bred B and UNLOCKED and both can do 2.5Ghz on air cool easy with my Abit NF7-S v2, and my locked barton still running at a wimping 2.3Ghz sadly we all aim for barton because of its L2 cache and AMD decided to lock it now :mad: , my wagon free drive with AMD (from DURoN to Barton) has end here time to go back to Intel for me (no need to flame anyone) :mad: , I have been using AMD after Intel slot1 which I still have a P3 1Ghz slot1 running at 1.3Ghz on Abit BE6 II

Last edited:
In order to have a stable overclock your system needs to pass stability tests one of which is Prime95 Torture Test which needs to display no errors for 12-24 hours.

Average overclock for both Thoroughbred B's and Bartons is 2.3 GHz.
2.5 GHz overclocks with DUT3C T-Breds usually don't pass stability tests.

AMD MHz is not Intel MHz, we don't do 3 GHz here.

2.3 GHz is great, 2.4 is above average, 2.5 is usually only done with 1700+ or 1800+ DLT3C B (not A).

2.6 and up is hardly ever seen ...

Translate those AMD GHz into PR ratings and you'l see that they translate into 3000+ and up overclocks.

Back