• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After 2 weeks of troubleshooting...my PC is now DEAD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Try a different CPU. If it works with the new CPU, then I guess you fried your old one. If it still doesn't boot when you change your CPU, try changing the MB. If none of those things work, then try changing both the CPU and MB.

Does it beep at all when trying to boot it? Or is it just silent? If its silent its the motherboard I bet, otherwise ram or CPU if its beeping. A P4 shouldn't die from heat damage I think, they have a throttle setup to prevent it, they just slow down to prevent damage....

Isn't the only way that a P4 can burn out like that is if it gets too much voltage? IOW wouldn't a new P4 in that mobo also probably burn out?

MaxiKana said:
Wow, that DOES look like a fried P4...

What makes you say that? I can see from those pictures no physical evidence of any processor damage what so ever.

When diagnosing a system, you need to start with the basics. The first is to reset the CMOS> Secondly take everything out of the case, and place the motherboard upon the anti-static foam it came with. You need to see if the system will run with the basics, the minimum components for it to boot whcih are the processor 9and an appropriate heatsink), motherboard, memoy and graphics card. If it doesnt boot, then you have a problem witrh one of the main components and you will need to test these separately in another system somehow to verify whether or not they work. If it boots with the minimum needed ti run then its obviously another component that is causing it not to boot and believe me this can happen. I have worked part tiem in a computer shop for 1 year and 359 days so near enough 2 years, Im still a student and ive seen faulty modems prevent a PC from booting. SImply add each component one at a time to verify whether or not they work. If each one works then you need to add them systematically in pairs. When doing this take notes of what you have and havent tried as it will help you keep methodical so you try everything. If two pieces of hardware dont work together then there could be an incompatibility between them although you claim to have had it running ok before now so there is a small chance of this.

Craig

Re: No beep

erics1one said:
I believe that MSI should have all there Mobo under 1 year warrenty so Im bringing it back to where I got it so that they can give it a look.

They will most probably RMA the board, usually the shop where you bought it from would not test the board for free but RMA it. As the wearranty is with the motherboards manufacturer and not the company that sold it to you, the company that sold it to you is the middle man.

Craig

The Intel coolers usually come with a black thermal pad which isnt the best but it will transfer heat from the CPU to the heatsink but not as good as a good silver based TIM such as AS5 (see my sig for a link to my review.) Most PCs that Ive looked at that companies have built run at that, it seems that both AMD and Intel stock heatsinkls both use a thermal pad and they recommend the pad although some Intel heatsinks come with a small tube of paste. Both AMD and Intel stock heatsinks, with no case fans and a sealed case seem to run at 60*C. What most companies dont do is give proper airflow to the system if any at all other than the PSU fan.

Craig

well most your fans plug into the MB. others can be plugged into the standard PSU plugs. most MBs dont run their fans constantly. i hadda tyan server board that did and they are very loud. but since this is pentium chances are the fans will kick in when u hit a certain temperature. look on your motherboard for 2 pins that say "FAN 0" and/or "FAN 1" ..theyll most probably be near the edges of the MB.
as for the PSU fans, they usually have an adaptor that just feeds off the plug, so u dont lose a plug to a fan. my case had one preinstalled on the side that runs constantly.

as for PS problems...too many drives, cards, lights, and fans could blow ur PSU. what the limit is or how to tell im not exactly sure. check out the post in cases and power supplies which deals with running 2 power supplies to your rig

All you need are some 3 pin molex connectors to 4 pin normal molex connectors, these are cheap, you can find then most places. As to connecting them all up you could buy a rheostat, this would allow you to control the fans as well so you can turn them down and up when you need to. As for having the on the side panel leave the cable slack so that when you open it you have room to get you hands in to unplug the fans from the side panel, then once youve finished working connect them up again before putting your case side on and sealing it up.

Craig

Back