• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please review my system specs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlepri

Can someone please review the following system specs. I will be using the system mostly for gaming and transfering some home movies to DVD (once I get a DVD r/w). I plan to overclock the system a bit, trying to push the 2500+ to 3200+.

My questions are

1) Do you think the 380 watt power supply will be sufficient or should I upgrade to more watts?

2) How does Kingston Hyper X memory compare with Corsair. Is it worth getting the Kingston to save a few bucks.

Case: ANTEC P160
Power Supply: ANTEC 380 Watt True Power
Motherboard: ABIT NF7-S V2.0
CPU: AMD ATHLON XP 2500
Cooling: Thermaltake SILENT BOOST
Memory: CORSAIR XMS, PC-3200LL (Twin Pack) 1GB
Video: ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 9800 PRO
Drive: WD 160GB 7200RPM
CDRW: Lite On 48x24x48x16 Combo Drive LTC-48161H
DVDRW: <Future>
Monitor: Hercules Profitview 920 DVI

Thanks for the comments. This will be my first build and although I expect a few bumps in the building road, I want it too go as smooth a possible.....

Looks good. Knowing the quality of Antec PS I think you should be ok. Might run into problems once you start upgrading and try to do some major overclocking though.

That corsair memory is pretty good. I'm not too familiar with Kingston memories so can't help you. Sorry. :eek:

it does look good...one thing that is stressed in video, is never have the video files on the same disk as the OS. Keep in mind encoding DVDs usually takes a pretty long time. i know thats the case when copying DVD to DiVx or so...unless u can record in dvd format?

160gb will suffice, but i suggest atleast partitioning it if u dont have a small hard drive to place ur OS on. ive had a few instances where the drive crashes or becomes cluttered because of the large files and almost lose them all. also if u have 2 separate drives the system will run noticeable faster.

what programs do you plan on using?

jlepri said:
Can someone please review the following system specs. I will be using the system mostly for gaming and transfering some home movies to DVD (once I get a DVD r/w). I plan to overclock the system a bit, trying to push the 2500+ to 3200+.

My questions are

1) Do you think the 380 watt power supply will be sufficient or should I upgrade to more watts?

2) How does Kingston Hyper X memory compare with Corsair. Is it worth getting the Kingston to save a few bucks.

Case: ANTEC P160
Power Supply: ANTEC 380 Watt True Power
Motherboard: ABIT NF7-S V2.0
CPU: AMD ATHLON XP 2500
Cooling: Thermaltake SILENT BOOST
Memory: CORSAIR XMS, PC-3200LL (Twin Pack) 1GB
Video: ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 9800 PRO
Drive: WD 160GB 7200RPM
CDRW: Lite On 48x24x48x16 Combo Drive LTC-48161H
DVDRW: <Future>
Monitor: Hercules Profitview 920 DVI

Thanks for the comments. This will be my first build and although I expect a few bumps in the building road, I want it too go as smooth a possible.....

Looks beautiful, consider Geil Golden Dragon memory sticks as well, they are rather cheap(as they are new to the market and so their prices aren't jacked up) and high performers. I'm planning on getting a gig of them in about a week.

380W should be perfect as far as power goes, too. And sweet choice with the 9800 All in Wonder...the rest of your system will be awesome, but that will put you in heaven :D

As far as transfering video to DVD - I think I will be waiting to the end of mid to end of this year to buy a dvd-r/w. In the mean time a will try burning them onto CD. The AIW card comes with some software to do this (Pinnaclel Studio). A side from that, AutoCAD, Photoshop, 3d Studio, etc.

Right now I think I will making a 5GB or 10 GB partion on the harddrive for the OS. I will see how that goes.

Do you think the extra $22 is worth it to upgrade to a 480 watt antec true power.

Thanks all for the replays, I will be ordering next week (hope to catch a few new year specials) :D !

i jus received my Antec truepower 430w in the mail today and its beautiful. my friend is running 8 LED fans, two cold cathodes, and he has his sytem overclocked and he has the truepower 430w. i guess its all up to your future plans on deciding on PSU for now. and if you do decide on the 480 then you'll know you wont have any problems with not having enough power lol good luck nice system

Back