• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet heat sink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ultra Josh

Registered
Well the title says it, I want to make my computer quieter. I'm thinking of getting the Swifttech MCX462-V and the Mechatronics 92x25 E9225S12B which runs at CFM 29 and dbA 24.

Is there a better heat sink fan combo that will give me lower temps at lower dbA?

It should be noted that I'm getting the ABIT AN7 and a Athlon XP 2800+ Barton otherwise I would get a Zalman.

for low flow fans the thermalright slk-900a or sp-97 would be a better choice if you ask me. for the price of the swifty, you might as well get the top-of-the-line sp-97 (if your motherboard has the four mounting holes)

if you get the Zalman, some lapping might be in order.
It's a good quiet cooler as is, but the base is a bit textured.

If I recall correctly, Swiftech coolers generally work better with high speed fans at higher sound levels. The Zalman solution will likely be cheaper and quieter for the performance.

I had an MCX4000 with a stealth 80mm fan, then put on a Zalman 7000AlCu and my temps dropped dramatically. Both were silent, but the Zalman was a lot cooler.

However, maybe your 92mm Swiftech setup would be different. I do so very much respect the engineering and construction of those lovely Swiftech heatsinks.

The SP-97 would be an excellant choice.It comes with a X plate to go on the backside of the mobo to help spread the support for the HS.Its an excellent setup.The HS can be obtained at www.heatsinkfactory.com ,just to name 1 place for you.This HS has heat pipe tech. built into it.There isn't a better air cooling HS around at this time. THE FANMAN:cool:

Ok I'll get the SP-97, the AN7 has the four holes, but what fan should I get? Remember, low dbA is what I'm after. The Vantec Stealth fan sounds good, it's a little high piched but its quiet, so it's good. Any other suggestions?

On the matter of the Zalman, I would get it but it's compatibility chart says it doesn't fit on the AN7 and and various NF7's.

Back