• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 0+1 with 3 drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flowrider

Ok so here's the scenario:
I have 2 - 80 gig drives in a Raid 0 array.
If I were to add a 160gig could I use that drive as the redundancy?

I'm thinking not because each Raid 0 drive only keeps 1/2 the data (striping).

Hmmmm...

you would have to have 4 drives.. you need to miror the stripe witch would take 4 total..

Right, you'd need four drives. If you didn't, then think about it...your RAID 0 setup would only be as fast as the 160GB drive - everything would have to wait until the 160GB drive was finished before doing anything else.

What you could do is store an image of your drive every week or so on your 160GB, or find some other way to back up the data on your RAID 0.

that is what i do i use drive image 7 and love it.. have it set so every night it makes a clone of my raid 0 drive.. if any thing hapens i just restore the image.. love it.. also great way to test a raid setup out. you can try 16,32k size.. and see witch works better for you.. every one told me 16k strip but 32 works better with my raid card.

Back