• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC2700 in PC2100 motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vipergtsr1736

Would it work at all to put PC2700 512mb in a motherboard that supports up to PC2100? Would it post and run stable? I really need to know soon because I need a RAM upgrade. Im not buying a new motherboard, and I would want 2700 because Corsair XMS and Mushkin Black level II comes in PC2700 but not PC2100. help plz!:confused:

I know my mobo says it only supports 3200 but everyone told me 3500 would be fine. If you read the one sticky, I'm pretty sure it states that their is no real "ram requirement" on a motherboard...so anything you put on should run it (at least thats what i took from it)

I found the info (I'm so glad I'm finally answering someone else's question instead of asking one).

Drisler said:
Overclocking & Memory

Q: Why are you recommending PC3500, when my motherboard only supports PC3200?

Memory modules really have no fixed speed. Like the tire to a car, there is a "rating" on it. When a tire is rated to be 150mph, it means it can run as fast as 150mph maximum. It also means that it can run at any speed lower than that. It is also quite safe to say that the tire should also withstand at 155 mph, just not as "safe" according to the Government's test environment.

Memory is very much similiar in this way. Many people ask if a PC3500 or PC3700 module would run/blow up/be compatible in a motherboard originally designed to use PC3200 or PC2700. The answer is, hell ya! Older systems stand to gain from newer and faster modules. Even if they can't run the module at its top supported frequency, you can still tweak the timing parameters to maximize performance at lower clock speeds than would be possible with lower-rated modules.

great! thanks a bunch. That guy who made that sticky better be right because I dont think I can make another trip to the store to return RAM, im already going to return some ram I just bought because I got the wrong stuff, it would be horrible if the faster ram didnt work and I would have to go all the way back (2 hrs round trip!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: ;)

It should all be good. Nowadays RAM is RAM. I have PC2400 in a mobo that "only takes" PC2100 and it works fine. A few years ago that was not always the case and you had to get RAM that matched your mobo (edo vs. non-edo). Today, if they change RAM that much they also make it physically incompatible with older stuff...

sure, I can verify. got 2x256mb dual channel pc2700 running in my KR7A (i know it doesn't support ual channel)right now. the board is only rated for pc2100 and pc1600, so no worries

I have a stick of PC2700 next to a PC2100 in a Duron 1200 box. Both sticks are running slower than their rated speeds (DDR200) and all is fine. (all Kingston Value Ram btw).

So yes, it is safe to say all DDR is backwards compatible to slower speeds. Just like (for the most part) PC133 had no problems running at PC100.

Back