• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a cool running video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nasanu

I figure if I can find this information anywhere, it will be here.

I need to be pointed in the direction of a video card that naturally runs quite cool. You see my house gets very hot and my current video card can't take it. Atleast I am pretty sure its the video card that is packing it in because the screen gets corrupted and the monitor shuts off. I am sure everything else in my system can take the heat, but my geforce 2 mx has always run very hot. Only mintues after boot doing nothing more than sitting on the desk top get the heat sink gets too hot to touch (and its not overclocked).

I am running underclocked now (at 70mhz) and in 800x600 res 16bit color, this is the only way it won't crash.

I don't want to know about more fans or cooling devices, I have a very good air flow through the case and have room for no more fans, not that blowing anymore hot air into the case is going to help.

Please someone tell me a not too expensive card that will cope with the heat (35 degrees +, thats over 100 american).

Thanks,
Nathan.

Thanks but I need a solution NOW as I work on my PC and am losing time on a project. Can't wait for a mail order, thought a new video card would be best since I can just go out and buy one.

Also my geforce mx is a generic version and I don't recall seeing anywhere I could plug a fan into it.

nasanu said:
Also my geforce mx is a generic version and I don't recall seeing anywhere I could plug a fan into it.

You could use a molex connector (that's what I did on my GF2MX).

If you want a new card I would buy one that has a decent HSF on it, but I would make sure that it's the temperature causing your system to crash, as some GF2MX's don't even have a HS I would think that the temperature doesn't really matter...well at least not alot.

I would try some other drivers first as they can cause strange behavior too (I suggest you try the 4x.xx series, you can find them at Guru3D).
Don't forget to run Detonator Destroyer.

BTW: Welcome to the forums.

Back