• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i try swapping processors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zip22

this past summer i built myself a computer and once it was up and running, my dad had enough faith in my to build a new family computer. both have p4 2.6C processors. now i have gotten into ocing and currently have my 2.6 at 3.51 with water cooling. my questoin is, since i am home for another week, should i see if the processor in my family computer will overclock better? can i get much better results than what i am currently getting? i can't overclock the family computer cause i used an intel mobo (my dad heard from someone that intel mobos are more stable and more reliable) so i would have to disassemble and reassemble both computers. might it be worth it? or are my results average or above average and i would see little to no improvement?

edit: i have also seen the results in the oc cpu database. my question is more like: are there large differences in the ocing ability of the 2.6C processors?

Last edited:
I'm not so sure that you'd be able to push the chip in the family computer much further than what you're running at right now. 3.51 GHz is a very nice overclock for a 2.6C and I doubt that the 2.6C in your family computer would be able to go much higher, if at all.

If it were me though, I'd probably still try it out and see what it can do, just for the fun of it. Who knows? Maybe you have a sleeping beast in that family computer. You won't know unless you try it out, but I'm willing to bet that it won't do much, if at all, better than the chip you're currently using.

u can try. Would waste a bit of thermal paste, but it's worth it. U dont have to take it apart, just release the heatsink on the family computer and switch it with urs. Since u have WCing already, i believe you should know how to swap the proc. It's a very quick procedure, not messy at all.

I say do it so you wont be living without the knowledge of how that thing OCs.

Like Nova says, it's not all that tough to swap CPUs. You don't have to take much apart, just remove the heatsink. But... 3.5 gig from a 2.6C is well above average. Chances that the other CPU will beat it are not all that great.

Back