• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to get Microsoft software deals for students

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
My daughter just started at Cal Berkeley :D and I told her that she should be able to get a very good deal if not free software from Microsoft on campus. She said I'm nuts and I'd like to prove her wrong. So anyone at Cal know where she can find the microsoft deals on campus? Don't let me down guys.

Mods if you think this should be in the software section please move thread.

the uni bookstore will sell stuff for academic price, otherwise there are a few sites. I'm pretty sure newegg also carries academic software, but...

um....I forget....heh. I got my copy of xpPro upgrade for $110 2-day shipped from somewhere, but I forget the store name.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=academic+software

google search with a bunch of stores....I can't personally recommend any of them, but it's a start if you wanna do some research.

Anyway, the campus bookstore should carry deals on academic versions of software.....it's not going to be as cheap as you expected, mainly based on the fact that most software that has an academic version is also normally expensive software (WinXP, M$ Office, Flash development kit, photoshop, maya, 3DSM, etc)

Dunno about there, but on other campuses that I have been on you can get them at the book store. Thats how I wasted my money on a windows ME upgrade.

I remember reading something here several months ago about a MS rep on campuses that administered bills donations to students. Or something like that. Thats what I'm looking for. Is there such a thing or was it a crock?

Aslan said:
Ahem.

It's a little bit more expensive than I thought it would be, considering that you can get XP at many US schools for around $5-10.

Thats what I remember reading 5 -15 bucks for XP, office and others. Wonder if MS has quit doing that for now?

Check to see if she can get it downloaded in a ZIP or something from a university server. That's what I did for XP Pro... completely free, I slipstreamed SP1a into it and made my own bootable disc. Upgrade version? Bah!

But before you do that, check the uni's policy on software for "personal use". I'm not saying that they'll find out if your daughter has been sending you teh good stuffz - but if they do, you might want to know what'll happen.

Back