• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats a good temperature for stock P4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stabber

2.6gig P4 w/800fsb
Idle is 21*c
When I play games, it got as hot as 31*. Keep in mind I'm in Delaware and it's very cold here. System is completely stock. I'm using the CPU fan that shipped with the processor.

Does the temp seem ok?

You need to fire that baby up with temps like that. I am at 38c idle. What case do you have?

Hey it's me Stabber. Just remembered my old password for this name lol. Anyway....

Wow I thought 21*c was normal. I'll take some pics of my rig later, but for now I'll just link images. Case is a Powmax. Has 3 fans (came with it) and a huge vent on top of case. What's unusual is it has a fan at the bottom of the case. Keep in mind though, it's winter. Should I expect temperatures to rise a lot in summer???

Here's the case. I felt like a nerd getting this one but it seemed to cool the best
11-145-025-10.JPG
11-145-025-11.JPG

Since I've shown you pictures lemme ask yet another question. See how they linked all those fans together in that picture above? Is that what you're supposed to do? I linked a few together and connected some directly to PSU.
Thanks, sorry for the rambling guys

You can do either for the fan connection. I personnaly run two fans on the motherboard, one fan on an extra fan controller, and one from my PSU on a molex. I think it is better to space them out a bit as then the power doesn't have to travel as far. Then again, it might be worse going through two channels. I'll let the electrical experts answer that. :)

Be carefull running fans off of the motherboard if the fan needs to much juice (watts) you can blow the header and then you are without a motherboard. Go psu or fan controller for your fans. I think it is up to 8 watts for a header.

21 is very low i have a watercooled setup and mine is 23 idle 26 load.
When i had my P4 stock 2.6C running on air it was 40 idle but i have central heating on in the uk so ambient is a bit high.
All i can say is that it must be very cold in your room to get temps like that.

Later

your cpu has a rating of up to 79 or something stupid like that
your temps are likely not recording properly at 21, mine is 21 before I apply voltage on boot. 29 idle and 37 under load.
Thios with a duct and a Tt Xaser cpu cooler

heres what i use to measure temps

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 63
Stabber,
First off, i'd say the average P4 temp is ~30*C idle, 40-45*C load.

Second, the Gigabyte temperature reporting software is very inaccurate. With my machine, Gigabytes temperature tends to be 5*C lower than the BIOS. Use the temperature monitoring in the BIOS.
;)

sweet temp. but i think its inaccurate as its impossible to have the cpu cool like that compare to the room temp. If u got watercool or compressor :) then hell yea.

but even i'm on water cpu still in the mid 20s :) oc

voodoomelon said:

Second, the Gigabyte temperature reporting software is very inaccurate. With my machine, Gigabytes temperature tends to be 5*C lower than the BIOS. Use the temperature monitoring in the BIOS.
;)

I DID use the temp monitoring in the bios as well. It is the same result as the tool I posted , 21*c. If there is anyway to screen shot it, I will . Let me know. Otherwise I'll try to take a pic with my crappy digital

stabber said:

If there is anyway to screen shot it, I will . Let me know. Otherwise I'll try to take a pic with my crappy digital

Eh, it's ok, I believe you...
I said that because of this .
There is another thread somewhere about this, can't find it though.
Just be aware.
;)

im gonna have to agree with all these posts, since that temp is IMPOSSIBLE with stock cooling and stock hardware. at 70 room temp

Back