• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatsink fan suck or blow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adrianhains

I have an athlon 2500+ running at 3200+.
Temps had been around 50*c under load during the first week of testing, but I happened to check the other day and saw I was at 59*c!

So I'm at a loss.. I had some crappy thermal paste in there (it came with retail athlot fan & heatsink) because I couldn't find my arctic ceramique at the time I was putting it together.
I have since found the arctic ceramique, so after this heat spike, I pulled the HS out (a big copper fin thermaltake or thermalright, whatever it is called) and put in the good thermal paste. Haven't noticed a change at all.

I was running .8v with the overclock, so I have temporarily turned it back down to .65v and the stock speed until I get this sorted out.

One thing I'm not sure of, is if the fan should be sucking air away from the heatsink, or blowing it into the heatsink. Is there a general concensus here, or should I just try and see? The clips for my fan are a PITA, so I would rather not change it if someone else has already done the testing :)
My fan currently sucks air away from the heatsink.

Thanks!
Adrian

i think most people would say that you should have it blowing onto the HS. Also, make sure you didnt put too much TIM on, that can cause heat problems too. Im sure other people who know alot more than me will be able to give more advice, but this is just my $.02

I am of the belief that a fan blowing onto the HS is the best way. There is more air velocity and pressure this way than with it sucking air over the HS. So your temps will drop a bit. They will drop even more so if you but a duct inbetween the HS and fan, thus removing the dead spot.

Back