• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FAKE PIII 933

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beyboo

Hi,

I was going over the puzzle of my PIII 933 Mhz defaulting to 1.90V. I was looking at all sorts of problems like bent pins, shorting on my CUSL2C etc.

I found the answer. I downloaded the Intel Frequency ID program and ran it on my comp. AAAAAAAAHHHHHH !!!

It warned me of overclocking !! The expected freqbus speed is 700@100, but it was overclocked at 933@133.

I removed the CPU and checked all the pins carfully, no bent pins, no shorthing any where.

Any one of you mavericks solve this for me ?? How do they overclock the 700 to 933 without any bent pins or any tell tale signs on the CPU ???

I checked the VIDnn pins special close - NO B ENT PINS !!!

Was this an OEM product, Intel sealed w/ warranty/retail, or did you buy it used?

hate to think Intel's back to doing that old ploy.

Well a p3 700 runs at 100 fsb.
So if you run it at 7 x 133.3 = 933
Dunno how they got your pc to auto detect it as 133fsb thou.
The defualt voltage of a 700 isnt 1.9 either.

Well i got it as the "tray" variety in the grey market. The box pack were not in stock and honestly so wasnt my patience !! So when suggested I bought it in a tray !!!

Is Intel doing this or is some special 3rd party forging it. And yes my CUSL2 bios (jumper free mode) identifies it as 933 and assigns 133 FSB to it.

The intel Frequency Id also reports it as that. HOW ???????????

If you bought it from a reseller, you may have been the victim of remarking (the practice of overclocking a chip and selling it as something it's not). If the chip was represented as a 933 and you bought it from an online vendor, I would make a point of posting a comment on www.resellerratings.com advising the world of the fraud.

Somebody did your overclocking for you.

what worries me here is how they got it default at 1.9v and at 133mhz?? How did they do that? The VID pins decipher the voltage, and you say they haven't been tampered. This is strange.

maybe the broke a couple traces somewhere? if that were the case and it isnt noticeable we'd end up going back to remarked cpus sold in oem systems and stuff, which is bad

Back