• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does a geforce2 REALLY need a heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madcow235

Im not looking into overclocking this geforce2 at all but the heatsink it had was this whole fan/sink dealy thing and that broke so for a while i was using my Radeon9800's heatsink but since my radeon had to be sent back, damn colored lines, its now heatsinkless and since its heatsinkless there is no way to run my printserver. So is it possible?

It may be possible if you had good airflow in the case. I would not run a video card without a heatsink though. The heat could end up frying the card and then you have to spend more money on a new card instead of getting a heatsink.

I agree. It would probably be ok with no fan with good case cooling; but it should really have a passive heatsink. You have a working card, why risk killing it?

The hottest mine ever got was slightly warm to the touch... It was probably 5-10 degrees above ambient w/ load

Which version of gf2?

I have a ti which would definatly overheat without a sink but i also have an mx200 which only came with a tiny one and would prolly be ok without one. They do get hot tho!!!! the mx is hot enough to burn me.

I would try and find a smallish sink and underclock

I have owned 3 Gf2's, one was an MX200 that had a passive sink, and it would burn your hand if you touched it. I also owned an Mx200 with active cooling, and it ran warm. Lastly, and actualy before the others, I owned an Mx400 and even with active cooling it ran warm. 200mhz [email protected] micron realy heats up. The passive Gf2's usualy had cores running under 150mhz.

Put on a passive heatsink and you should be ok if your case has a decent air flow.

Running a chip without any heatsink nowaday is basically asking for trouble.

i also own a gforce2 and it came with a passive heatsink, which got very hot, it burned me if i touched it more than a few seconds so i glued on a new hsf (in sig) just so this antique can last longer (dahhh i want a new video card!!!)

i really doubt that ur video card would run w/o one, most definitely would fry within a few days/hours

um the gf2 ti needs a hs and fan...but from the looks above you could get away with your card if you drasticly underclocked it. personally I wouldn't not use at least a passive hs on it. it's not expensive to get a cheap one that'd prod do fine.

Back