• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Confirmation on the P3 cD0's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[OC]_SR20DE

ok, maybe I have misheard this the fact about the P3 cD0 stepping chips and I'm asking to those who know about this chip. The question is: what micron size is the chip die on the core? Thanks..

Did you notice no "DO's" below 866mhz?

I was just thinking that it's amazing that this "P6" core could live through so many steppings and revisions,and not really being surpassed by the "P7?" core except in mem bandwidth

If Intel continues with their past history of labeling steppings, then the first P-III Tualatin 0.13 micron chip will be tA0 stepping. The current C-II and P-III chips are Coppermines (0.18 micron), so they are cA0, cB0, cC0, and, cD0 steppings.

A little confusing, I know. I don't know why Intel is trying to release the Tualatin P-III if it has to use a different chipset (motherboard) than the other P-III chips like they claim. One article I read was that it was originally designed to mainly be a laptop solution chip until the P-4 was completely mainstream.

I'll probably move directly from my current P-III setup to the new "Brookie" P-4 that is due out at the end of the year. Can you say 2 gig? That will bypass the "Willie" P-4 and the Tualatin P-III which, in my opinion, are just merely marketing stop-gaps in Intel's battle with AMD.

Thanks for the input Doc and Batboy. That is interesting Batboy. ahh... I knew it.. I heard some thing about .13u technology on a P3 core and i had little confusion with the cD0 stepping. Hmm.. Tualatin is the one.. yes that would seem a lot of hassle if the future P3 of the Tualatin .13u requires different chipset because of such change. Sorry I haven't done much of reading on the Intel's update but is the code name "Northwood" the same as "Brookie" one?

Ok, you got me on that one. There is a chip design called the Brookdale, but the Northwood will be the next P-4 chip and is what I meant to say. I got the two confused.

To confuse things even worse, at one time Intel talked about a .18 micron P-III chip called the coppermine-T, but I haven't heard anything about it for months. Maybe they abandoned it.

Ok Batboy, thanks.. yeah I was confused with all these fancy names hehehe... I've got it now

Its a shame that Intel Insiders (geddit? hahaha... :p ) never post anything on the forums, if they did we wouldnt have to use astrology and such to find out about the future of our most beloved OC-chip. But if they did maybe they'd get fired for sharing stuff with us; the people who dont wanna pay for GHz...

Back