• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiplier Setting Options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CeeDeeJay

I have just put put togather and setup my Barton 3200 rig.The cpu manfactured date was 0316. It runs good a default. I dropped the mutiplier to 10 it booted good.I went back to setup and set it to 12 it again booted and runs stable at 2.4.The only change was an increase in cpu temp to 44 (at idle).I reset the multiplier to 11 waiting to order a fan and heatsink other than the amd retail.
1) Is this enough of a test that I can say for sure my multiplier is unlocked(another stupid new overclocking question).
I inteded on ordering an SKL 900 with the YS Tech 92mm fan then increasing the multiplier and seeing if I could try overclocking.
2) After reading your Forums there is the suggestion to drop the multiplier is this a beter approach.Can somebody re-explain this.
3) I am open to any suggestions,recomendations or advice.
4) Can anyone suggest what type of overclocks might be expected or strived towards.

if it can post at lower multi, say like 7 or 8 multi, then you know its unlocked
at least your fsb should be 200mhz, my a7n8x deluxe rev 1.0 run up to 203, anything more and it would not post.

It's definitely unlocked.... as long as you can post with a different multiplier then it's unlocked, it's not like there's different levels of unlockedness. Anyway, 99.99% of T-Bred and Barton cpu's before week 39 are unlocked.

The reason you drop the multiplier is to achieve a higher fsb while keeping the same cpu speed. You get more memory bandwidth, better Sandra scores, higher 3dmark01. E.G. 10*230 is much better than 11.5*200. Of course, this depends on your memory, chipset voltage and cooling, and mobo. I can only get 210 fsb out of mine, but my ram memtests at 220 (bh-5).

Finally, welcome to the forums!

Back