• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOSS of STABILITY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

outhouse

So i reformatted my hard drive to see if i could get a small increase in FSB out of her and while gaming sound started messing up a little and a little lagging too. before format everything was fine the second reason I formatted was because I got a little carried away with the reg cleaner everything worked but I know some files where missing so it needed to be done. Anyway will installing windows over my existing files help? or would it be time to try and reformat again and do a clean install? with FSB @167 seti works fine but now i have these problems droped it to 163 everything is fine I may even get more out of her I just dropped it down this low to see if it would fix said problems

Well did you install at stock cpu speed?
I think its best to.
Did you upgrade the os with updates that you may have had before?
Do you have the same sound card and other device drivers as before?
Had you made "tweaks" to the previous os?

Placid (May 24, 2001 09:57 p.m.):
Well did you install at stock cpu speed?
I think its best to.
Did you upgrade the os with updates that you may have had before?
Do you have the same sound card and other device drivers as before?
Had you made "tweaks" to the previous os?

thanks for the quick reply not stock but I turned it down to very safe and stable speeds, updated yes, no new devises cover has not been off since format, Same twaeks, msconfig start up menu, network server, no power saving at all [seti 24\7] Win Me disabled system restore, and most of the other little tweaks to keep her singing my main concern is that if you can sometimes get positive results [with reformay clean install] and that will let you sqeeze a few more MHZ out of her can this work in reverse and sometimes drop her down a notch this is why I ask install over or clean install?

but I can add this I do notice when the game loads I can hear my hard drive making a noise not a squeal but a noise more then normal hope its not thrashing at these new speeds with new format but I think it is, I just went back to modify my post but you were so quick it went in here.

Just played my favorite game and sound was messed up at lower FSB if io get back into windows sound is fine plays CD's sweet so its not hardware tried reinstalling game but it did not help FSB settings seem to have no affect on problem

Sorry to hear of these problems pal.
If I were you I guess I would start over with a format.
Hope you get it back to the previous status.

Ive only lost 20 mhz and i was just playing games and had no problems so its not that bad but BAD ENOUGH TO BUG ME :) enough so that i would reformat if need be.

OK folks so i reinstalled windows over the top and guess what no help, so i tried one more thing and that was to remove my homemade rounded 80 wire hard drive cable, and it worked not only that now i'm at 168fsb and stably where i went wrong was when i rounded it i took off the second connector for another hard drive leaving some small exsposed wires I did tape them up and it did not help whats weird was i had to reformatt for this problem to show up go figure?

Back