• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blownsix

Ok i tried to OC and the first time this message came up. <windowsroot>system\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt. Then the second time i got this message <windowsroot>system\hal.dll. corrupt. I just reinsalled XP last night and it was runign fine. Then i overclocket and got this message. Then i set back to normal settings and crashed Windows and had to reinsall what the hell is wrong? Bad HD?

it all depends on how much you overclocked... give me some specs... some rather aggressive overclocks can corrupt the HDD...

I overclocked to 2.2GB or to a 3200 speed. I have a SLK947U heatsink and artic silver 5 and a 80mm Adj fan.

<windowsroot>system\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt. Then the second time i got this message <windowsroot>system\hal.dll. corrupt.

I've had a similiar thing happen when an OC was unstable......Did you try lowering your OC a bit before reinstalling windows?

i have the same problem, so i would clear cmos, and most of the time, the problem disappear, but let windows do check disk during loading up.

I had the exact same problem, and here's the diagnosis and how I fixed it (or intend to fix it, for part of it).

XP tries to detect major system changes, which usually require "activating" windows again. When you put an old HD on a new mobo, it F's with Windows and windows thinks it needs to be activated for a new computer.

I'm using a barton 2500+ and I attempted the same overclock. My bottleneck that caused the problem was my dual-channeled 256mb pc2100 chips from Kingston (old memory, i was broke). They took the 200 fsb kick pretty well at first, and ran dual channel 266. When windows tried to boot, the computer soft-rebooted and it detected as dual channel @ 254. After that, I started getting messages like what you got, or "IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_NOT_EQUAL" errors. I booted in debug so I could see where the system was hanging and it was at the Amd AGP driver, which munches ram like a biazznatchgazziza. Since I already knew I had a memory leak (as if Kingston doesn't leak like a seive anyway) I figure that the memory trying to detect new hardware for Windows, load the AGP drivers, and do so trying to catch up with the bombardment of information from the fast proc with open FSB confused it all to hell and crashed it. When I pulled the OC off the problem went away with the memory leak but windows was now corrupted, and I had to reinstall it. MAKE SURE YOU FDISK THE DRIVE BEFORE YOU REINSTALL or the windows install might still be corrupt when you're done.

I had problems just the same as you have when i first starded overclcoking i found it due to memory timings. tight 1's worked fine at 166 (333fsb) but when i took it up to 200 (400fsb) it messed up windows for me nicely. But i changed the timings to optimal and started again and im now happy at 11, 2, 3, 2 and 223mhz .

hope this helps.

Back