• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max allowable core volts for PIII, Celey2 FC-PGA??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have heard of a few "crazies" running at 2.2v, but I would not go past 1.9v, PIII or Cellie..higher than that, the risk becomes too great, and I hate to throw away money...I already smoked an AMD chip in my laptop.(fliped the wrong switch, and overvolted it)

"It's all smoke and mirrors, if you let the smoke out, it won't work"

Ouch...sorry to hear about your laptop. I really want more mhz...who doesn't...but I'm not prepared to throw away a good chip that runs 1018 stable. I've been running 1037 and have been able to back down to 1.95v but I'm just not comfortable w/ the voltage being so high. Thanks for the input.

You're smokin, fast that is! I wouldn't sweat the high voltage, it takes quite a bit of heat to fry a chip (you have to make a serious blunder like the prior post to really cause some damage). As long as your cooling is solid and dependable, you should sleep well at night.

Ya, your voltage should be fine, if your worried just keep a close eye on it...i ran my PIII at 2.0v for a week stragiht on a burn in and didnt notice any major temp difference, just have good cooling...but you do whatever you feel comfortable with...i personally wont go over 2.0v

The spec sheet I read stated that the absolute maximum Vc for a FC-PGA is 2.1v I think that was for the celerons, but I would've thought the voltages would be the same.

/Link_flap

I am running watercooling, and maybe I am being conservative but I won't exceed 2.0V. Heat isn't the only issue when dealing with higher voltages. You run an increased risk of damaging the chip's circuitry with voltages at the limit, as well as having data corruption due to ringback and the like.

I´m using a cely2 cc0 stepping with 1,9v since the day i bought it a cople of months ago at no problem... stil tweaking @998-1008mhz with alpha pal6035 and 20cfm fan... My waterblock from oc watercool is finaly Ok and shal be shiped today aleluia! 6 months building a watercooler! blergh... Well, back to the voltage, I wouldn´t go beyound 2,0v.... If you need more voltage, maybe you need more cooling, temperature and internal signals transmission voltage are correlated in an inverse way... Time to waterpeltiers....!

Thanks for all the input!!! I'm using a CAK38 so heat is def. not an issue. Depending on ambient temp...usually 23-24c, I'm running 29c Idle and about 38-40c load depending on what I'm running.

I am actually very glad to hear that 2.0-2.05 might be a usable range as long as cooling is solid...I've been able to reach 1071 @ 2.05v...I think I could live w/ almost 1.1Gig...he he!!! Thanks again all!!

my p31g@1255 is running with 2.05 Cv and so far no problems 3 to 4 weeks at this setting we'll see what happens, after reading this i may try and see if its burned in enough to drop CV down to 2.00

Running my p3 700@1050 @ 2.05v for about 6 month now and no problem so far...it will run @ 1120Mhz @ 2.25v with peltier cooling ;)

Back