• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is Burning in a chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KD

Registered
I'm new to this and I'm trying to OC my PIII 700 cBO and I have a quick question. What is Burning in a chip? My system runs good at 910 MHz at 1.75v but after system is shut down and started again, it starts up as 701 MHz. Does my chip need to be burned in or something so it stays at 910 MHz?

Thank you

CUSL2 motherboard
PIII 700 cBO at 910MHz (sometimes)
1.75v, Temp 35C at idle 38C at play
256m pc133 (not sure what brand but its suppost to be good)
Volcano II fan - Are these suppost to be good?
SBLive
Internal Video - for now
Maxter 30GB-7200

Its a known bug with your motherboard.
It resets to default voltage and speed when rebooted.
Check with asus web site.

burning in a chip is running at the default speed at a higher voltage using a CPU intensive application such as Prime95, SiSoft Burn In, Folding@Home, etc. It usually allows the CPU to overclock a tad higher and run at lower temperatures.

also 35 degrees at idle is hell on your chip, get a better HSF, im running at 18(in the mornings)-25 when running my CPU at 100%

maxtor hd's arent very cooperative in overclocking...just something i picked up while reading a little.

There are many ways to burn in a chip and there are probably more opinions on this subject as well, Setting your FSB to default and raising CV is one way and another would be to overclock it as high as it is stable and with both run something that really pushes the processor [my favorite is Seti] now all chips will burn in differently some will burn in fast others i have heard have taken 3 months to become fully burned in I would think the normal time would be around 2 weeks to be safe but you never know for sure when its done one way to check would be when you think its done see if you can lower your CV at default settings but i think most people max there MB out as far as it will go and then after burning in you may be able to get a few more FSB out of her and keep her stable. There is a percentage of people that do not believe in burning in and they will clame that you are doing harm to your chip and to a small point there rite, by burning in your stressing it enough to cause some slight damage but this is a very small amount say your chip will last say maybe 20 years well now it may last 15 for the gain you get out of burning in to me it's worth loosing 5 years off the life because who is or may ever use the same PC that long well thats your choice. I have had positive results burning in and i do recommend it. By the way your temps could be a little cooler [your PC will thank you later] good luck

Back