• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p3 733 o/c help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Railskinner

Registered
i'm a newbie to ocing a pentium3, what do u have to do to get this chip to oc,
this is my system
p3 733
abit VL6
3d blaster annihlator 32 meg geforce mx2 video card
256 pc 133 ram
20 gig maxtor hd 7200 rpm ata 66
32 x cd rom
300 watt power supply
any help would be gr8!

Basically you need to go into the bios and set for "user defined" on the first sub-menu. Just keep scrolling through the options and you should find it. Here you can adjust your fsb and that will alter the speed your cpu will run at. Make sure you change you dividers for AGP and PCI settings so that you don't drive them way out of spec.

I'm not familiar with your particular mobo but the manual will/should have the info. My board is a 440BX chipset so I only have 2/3 divider for AGP and 1/4 for PCI, AGP bus spec is 66Mhz and PCI is 33Mhz. Your peripherals look good and as such should not give you any problems when overclocking.

Your CPU is a P3-550E but Intel tested it and found it to be stable when overclocked @ 733 so they sold it as a P3-733EB. Your FSB is already @ 133 and you can expect to be able to go to 150 - but if you are using a stock HSF you may have to change it for a better one, also, be sure to have adequate case cooling/ventilation, your HSF won't do squat if you don't give it the cool air to work with. You will also probably need to increase the Vcore to about 1.8~1.9v to maintain stability, but this adds more heat of course.

Increase your fsb by 5Mhz at a time and see if your comp boots to windows, check the temps (Motherboard Monitor 5 - free d/l) and then stress it by running something like Folding@Home (see this board), I like BurnBX (free d/l) as it quits if it detects a mathematical error and so is an early indicator of instability.

The above post has very good advise

Also you can check the CPU database and see what other people have done with the same CPU. And i highly recommend reading through the tips section as there is allot of good info in there look at it like this your going through some dark woods with bears so its best to stock up on all the amunition you can get your PC will thank you later

beause you are allready running at 133 MHz you will have to go into high bus speeds which could make your system unstable, get good pc150 ram, take all the components that you don't need out of your pc and see if it is stable

well things are looking good so far as ive tried 140 fsb at 5.5 multiplyers ,at 1.70 volts ,1/4 pci & agp, then tried 150fsb which runs gr8 so far at 825mhz. being crunching seti for 5hrs and no problems. i seen in my bios that i have multiplyer settings that go up to 12.5. would i be able to try multiplyer setting of 6 or 6.5 ect to see if i can get a little more or am i stuck at 5.5 multiplyers?also seems that my fsb setting only go to 150fsb with this mobo. thx for the help so far

Sorry bud that multiplier is locked and allways has been , all of us Intel boys dream of the day that we could get away with using the multiplier.

well then maybe i should have bought a amd cpu as they are easy to oc
just thought i would give intell a shot as ive haven't played with one at all,
curious as to the fsb settings that u have with the VH6-2 mobo how high does it go in your bios,gotta find out if there is another bios upgarde for VL6 mobo, maybe get a little more fsb setting to get more outta this cpu if there is another bios for me. also are u running at 1/4 speed for agp and pci. ? 167fsb=41.7 for your pci and agp is this quite high for your pieces?

Railskinner (Jun 03, 2001 07:38 p.m.):
well then maybe i should have bought a amd cpu as they are easy to oc
curious as to the fsb settings that u have with the VH6-2 mobo how high does it go in your bios,gotta find out if there is another bios upgarde for VL6 mobo, maybe get a little more fsb setting to get more outta this cpu if there is another bios for me. also are u running at 1/4 speed for agp and pci. ? 167fsb=41.7 for your pci and agp is this quite high for your pieces?

go to abit and download the latest bios update for your mobo model (I know there is one because I've flashed that particular mb).

Railskinner (Jun 03, 2001 07:38 p.m.):
well then maybe i should have bought a amd cpu as they are easy to oc NOT REALLY AMD HAS MORE OPTIONS BUT ALSO MORE CAN GO WRONG THEY CAN BE TEMPERMENTAL AND REQUIRE BETTER COOLING THEN INTEL DONT GET ME WRONG I LIKE AMD
curious as to the fsb settings that u have with the VH6-2 mobo how high does it go [0 TO 200FSB ] in your bios,gotta find out if there is another bios upgarde for VL6 mobo, maybe get a little more fsb setting to get more outta this cpu if there is another bios for me. [I DOUGHT THERE IS A UPDATED BIOS VERSION THAT WILL GIVE YOU MORE FSB IVE CHECKED FOR VH6 BUT NOT YOUR MB SO I WOULD ATLEAST HAVE A LOOK JUST LOOKED FOR YOURS AND MORE FSB IS NOT A OPTION SORRY also are u running at 1/4 speed for agp and pci. ? YES 167fsb=41.7 for your pci and agp is this quite high for your pieces? YEP IT IS HIGH AND MY SYSTEM IS MAXED OUT BUT RUNNING STABLE WITH THE COOLING I HAVE.

you can try, but I would say that 900 is by far the max you are going, with a high fsb a low multi, you are just outa options.

well i thank u intel guys for the help as it wasn't as tough as i tought it would be to oc this cpu.even with a stock hsf it rocks system has being running seti for 2 days and no crashes at 150 fsb, even playing unreal tournament , the mobo seems stable as hell for what it's doing.

Back