• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something is wrong. (BSOD)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stabber

Ok, I've been getting blue screens of death the past few days. Dont know why. It happens out of the blue when I'm surfing the internet or checking my mail etc....

Here's what I did:

Re-installed XP (again!)
All windows updates downloaded
Replaced video card (9600xt swapped for 9800pro)

I figured the video card swap would of done it, nope.
Got a BSOD last night.

So I :
uninstalled office 2000
uninstalled Norton AV 2003. Replaced with with Norton Corporate
Went from catalys 4.2 drivers, to omega 4.2 drivers for video card.

Tried it again, ok for a while. BAM. BSOD AGAIN!
The only software installed on this machine is a game. Raven Shield. But I wasnt even playing it when this happened.

I had a nvidia geforce4 mx420 PCI video card in my computer a few days prior with no problems. Is it possibly an ATI issue or even AGP issue?

It could be anything causing it. What is the error code you get with the BSOD? Also check your event log to see what it has to say.

i reformatted when i switched video cards. It is the same bucheck I have always been getting. The blue screen says DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Not to sound like an ***, every time I've had that blue screen its been a sblive card. Try taking that thing out. They don't like to share IRQ's with anything!

If you're overclocked, drop to stock.
If you have multiple sticks of RAM, pull one and see if the error goes away.
Make sure you update all of your important drivers (Video, Sound, Motherboard) to the latest revision. If you think that's the problem, try going to an earlier revision.

That's all I can think of now.

IRQ? well yeah it very well might be your sound card, try resetting your bios that may do it.

If u stil have a problem, just try to put ur pci cards in some other order- it might help ya.
GL

Stu Pidasso said:
Not to sound like an ***, every time I've had that blue screen its been a sblive card. Try taking that thing out. They don't like to share IRQ's with anything!

The only pci device I have is the SBLIVE. My video card is AGP. Would this still cause IRQ conflicts?

Oni said:
If you're overclocked, drop to stock.
If you have multiple sticks of RAM, pull one and see if the error goes away.
Make sure you update all of your important drivers (Video, Sound, Motherboard) to the latest revision. If you think that's the problem, try going to an earlier revision.

That's all I can think of now.

This is the best advice, however, I will have to add one more thing. When you reinstall Windows (Reformat) take out all pci cards and unplug all peripheral devices. Try doing what you usually do to see if the problem comes up, if not, then add one device and so forth..

Back