• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternative 9800XT Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyberius

Hehe, so the stock heatsink assembly
as big as it was, was just not cutting it
for my 9800XT. I'm planning on doing
voltmods today and adding a waterblock
to my GPU, problem is what to do about
the ram? plenty of ramsinks out there
I liked the OCZ copper ones particularly
but i still wanted better cooling on the RAM....
so i got these cool little fans and mounted
them on top of the ramsinks, check it out.
As you can see im yet to have installed
my GPU cooler....
ATi9800XT.JPG

Those have got to be the smallest fans I've ever seen. Big props on the leetness factor, but wouldn't a single 5v'ed 80mm fan blowing across the card do far better? Also, how much noise?

ya, im gonna have a zalman on top of it, the fans arent noisy at all, according to specs, they dont move much air, but couldnt exactly hurt, since the 80mm will still be blowing down on the sinks, besides, i hadnt seen any active cooled ramsinks yet, so i wanted to try it out. Now i just gotta figure out how im gonna route my watertubes...

Last edited:
NICe i have fans about the same size and wanted to do that but didnt want to have to route that wiring thought it would look messy, however, its been in the back of my head since then. And like you said those fans are noisy at all..in fact they are SILENT!...to silent lol.

lets us know how it turns out

Zoltan

Yuriman said:
Haha wimp, 1 sec ill post pics of my custom active ramsinks.

DAMN YOU YURIMAN! LOL
ya, but how are you gonna fit those on your ram? they look too big, how big are those fans? besides, i get points on the cuteness factor of my 20mm fans, my girlfriend said so lol.

Last edited:
Yuriman said:
They are ~20mm, cant sat for sure.

Where did you get the 20mm fans at bro? I would love to put some on my OCZ copper ramsinks. Linky?

Sega Dreamcast, hehe. Got the shroud out of one too. I only have 3 of them, so I cant do a whole card. But they look impressive.

I don't know how well they will work though. The 20mm ones that Tyberius linked to push less than 1cfm each! Wow! Thats "underwhelming performance.":( But, I could be wrong...actually I want to be wrong...because it would be nice if they worked.;)

Here is the spec sheet on the 20mm fans:

Attachments

• 20mm fan specs.jpg
    20mm fan specs.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 584
Hey, great news guys, the little fans ROCK! They move a lot more air then I would have ever expected. If I place my hand over the card when its running, I can feel air being pushed up through the ramsinks, and a decent amount of it. I'm not even gonna mount an 80mm on top anymore. Stock cooling, max OC w/o pixelation was 450/378, now with liquid cooling and those active cooled ramsinks, I can do 500/410. Tomorrow I'm gonna get the guts up to voltmod my card, and then I'm sure I'll see even better core/mem clocks. But the fans, have my blessing, they ROCK! I'm writing up a full article for the website i work for on my cooling mods and the volt mods im doing to the card, so I'll have before and after benchmarks for ya to look at soon.

How do you have the little fans fastened to your mem heatsinks? Did you superglue them?

Back