• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software Based Voltage Tweaks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KLowD9x

I need a software based voltage modification....if you need anymore information other than that, post a message....thanx

Unless your motherboard has some way of controlling the VRMs through software then it can't be done and usually if your board does have some way of doing that there will be an option in the bios that does this.

You can, however, always alter the voltage to the CPU through the VID or voltage Id pins. This involves setting jumpers, pin tapeing and/or soldering or moving around resistors on a slot 1 cpu. There is some info here you may find useful.

It can be done on the MSI boards by their software. I contacted a shareware programmer to see if he was interested in writing software to tweak other boards but he felt that it was very complicated and that would lead to too large an amount of mail he would get from users.

So his answer to me is that he did think it was possible to do this on some boards.

Think of the boards that allow voltage changes in the BIOS. If you or I could make these changes in Windows rather than during the setup at powerup then we would be halfway to making all the tweaks possible.

The other half is to change the max range of tweaks available. If you look at an Abit board the voltage can be changed in the BIOS setup but only to about 0.20 volts or so. My Abit SE6 allowed another 0.05 volts of tweaking after a BIOS upgrade from Abit. If I could write my own BIOS updates then I would be able to choose even higher voltages.

So I believe the answer is that it is possible to tweak the voltage from Windows but no one has written the software to do it.

Well, if a board has options to adjust voltage in the bios then it would obviously be possible because the bios is software. However, there are many boards that could not be adjusted through software. This is why some boards do not have the option to adjust voltage through the bios. They don't have that option because it isn't possible. In order to adjust the voltage through software you would need a VRM that is programmable and accessable by the CPU through either an input/output port address or a memory address and you would adjust the voltage by wirting certain values to that port or memory location. On many boards that don't have the option to adjust voltage through the bios, the VRMs are tied directly to the VID pins on the CPU and/or jumpers on the motherboard and are not connected to a programmable port or memory location that the CPU can access. On those motherboards it wouldn't be possible to adjust the voltage through software. So, yes it would be possible on boards that have voltage adjustments in the bios, but it would not be possible on some boards.

Back