• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700+ Palomino proc didn't like 166MHz FSB :rolleyes: and released its magic smoke...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leo_fast_elk

1700+ Palomino proc didn't like 166MHz FSB :rolleyes: and released its magic smoke...

Hi all--
I'm new here.

My system:
* MSI KT4V-L mobo
* 768M ddr333 RAM
* 1700+ Palomino proc
* GeForce2-400 64Mb AGP video
* Echo Mia audio
* SIIG PCI-IDE bridge w/RAID capability
* 27G 7200RPM HDD - Win2k
* 60G 7200RPM HDD - Shared:data and swapfiles
* 10G 5400RPM HDD - Knoppix (HDD install)
* CD-R/RW
* DVD +/- R/RW
* 17" AOpen LCD display

I wish I'd found you folks yesterday....

I just flashed the BIOS up to v1.8, and it reset my FSB to 100MHz and was running the chip at 1100MHz, so I upped it to 133MHz FSB and all was good.

I decided to try running the FSB at 166MHz to get more out of it (figuring that since it's a 266MHz bus on the proc, asking it to do 166 wasn't asking much) and found out that the chip doubles the clock, which makes 166 into 333 and consequently let the magic smoke out of my 1700+ proc. :p Now it won't get past the first step in the POST, and all four of the D-Bracket's LEDs are screaming RED--"processor defective or installed incorrectly"--when I try to boot, even after flushing the BIOS.

It's no big deal, as I was planning to upgrade to a 2500+ or better (to get the better cache, faster processing, use all the capability of my RAM, etc.) anyway in a couple months. Oh darn, I have to get it early. :eek: :rolleyes: I found a good deal on a 2800+ Barton core proc locally, so I guess I know what I'll be doing this w/e....

Thanks to your site, I found out where to find info on the various processors and the stock settings for the KT4V-L to run them, info about the mobo's automatic PCI/AGP bus division (so my cards are probably safe), as well as a wealth of info about overclocking if I want to go that way with the new chip (I just might, now that I have some info to go with...) once I get my system back online.

Thanks for being here and knowing what I don't! :D

C ya,
Dutch

SewerBeing said:
I would take it more slowly next time, and not just jump so high. Great lesson to anyone who wants to overclock, do it slowly and test in between.

SewerBeing--
Yeah, a smaller jump would have been good. :D I just wish the manual for the mobo had even 10% of the good info I've found here, as then I'd likely have known about the chip multiplying the FSB clock speed. Oh well, if you don't make mistakes, you're not learning, right? :D

C ya,
Dutch

We you just got urself an excuse to buy a Mobile Barton. Not only can you get it to 166FSB but it will also run well over 2.5ghz :eek:

Re: 1700+ Palomino proc didn't like 166MHz FSB :rolleyes: and released its magic smoke...

leo_fast_elk said:
I decided to try running the FSB at 166MHz to get more out of it (figuring that since it's a 266MHz bus on the proc, asking it to do 166 wasn't asking much) and found out that the chip doubles the clock, which makes 166 into 333 and consequently let the magic smoke out of my 1700+ proc.

Ehem, wrong. 333 is just fine for a 266fsb processor. And yes, all AMD processors double the fsb. BUT, palominos use an old core and doesnt clock well, and makes tons of heat.

Something else went wrong. Simply running 1.8v on a .18u core and too high of fsb won't smoke a CPU.

Did you clear the cmos? Most likely its just not posting, and reading incorrectly for it. If you dont know how to clear the cmos, just take the battery out for a few seconds.

Yeah, like Yuriman suggested, try clearing your CMOS. If that doesn't work and your 1700+ is truly gone there's always the mobile 2500+.

ol' man said:
Something else went wrong. Simply running 1.8v on a .18u core and too high of fsb won't smoke a CPU.

Agree here too.

A big jump is never a good idea, still ... if anything it would have
refused to POST. Something else must be wrong for it
to smoke. Too much thermal paste shorting something perhaps?
That seems to be a fairly common problem with beginner OCers. :(

I think he was talking about his bios version 1.8, not the vcore. I'll give another vote for "something else" is wrong.

I OC'd my 1700+ (T-bred) to 166 fsb and it wouldn't boot either. But I just reset the bios with the jumper on my mb and it booted up fine. The highest I could get it to boot at was 155.

Put the palomino back in, and keep tapping the insert key. That should revert the overclock. Also does your board have a jumper to set the FSB? set it back to 100 and see what happens.

I have never had a palomino, BUT I have had a TbredA, and I assume they both overclock teh same. With 1.85v I can get my TbredA to ~1820mhz. And since your 1700+ has a 11x multiplier, at 133FSB it will run at 1463mhz but at 166FSB it will be 1826mhz. A probably overclock if your cooling is good and you use high voltage.

Also you never mentioned your cooling, so can you tell us that please?

Also a processor CAN NOT DIE from too high of a FSB or MHZ, there have been people that took their Tbird (ancient cermamic "Athlon" processor) and ran them on NF2 (DFIs I think) at 240FSB. Its not that shocking because they used a very low multiplier (6x think for total speed 1440mhz). The cpu doesn't care about FSB at all, aslong as the total speed after the multiplier isn't too much.

The only things that can kill a processor are heat and bridge modifications and sometimes high voltage (even if your temps are okay).

There is soemthing else wrong, your CPU didn't die.

Palysstink anyway. You'll be much better of with a Tbred or a Barton. An unlocked mobile barton would be especially nice.

AMD took a huge step up going from the paly core to the Tbred core... atleast once the Tbred B's came out. Heck the A's were still pretty darn good compared to the Paly.

dippy_skoodlez said:

wtf are you talking about?

In ol' man's post he said, Simply running 1.8v on a .18u core and too high of fsb won't smoke a CPU.

I didn't see anywhere in the original post where he talked about the vcore, just I just flashed the BIOS up to v1.8, and it reset my FSB to 100MHz and was running the chip at 1100MHz, so I upped it to 133MHz FSB and all was good. So that's wtf i'm talking about.

Remove said:
BTW,

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

ditto and lol

The reason your computer doubles the FSB speed is because of the processor sending 2 instructions per clock, effectively doubling the speed (133MHz) to 266, and 166 to 333.

Back