• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't oc 955BE normally

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lightsome

Registered
Hello everyone. First time posting here. Since I can't go higher than 3,4ghz LOL because it crashes, thought someone might help me here. The thing is that some time ago I made my system run at 3,7ghz, now... something happened after reinstalling windows and resetting BIOS, I have no idea why I can't go past that 3,4ghz now. Sorry if there's much text, but I can't make it shorter lol.

I'll start off with my PC build.
MOBO: ASUS M4A87TD
CPU: Phenom2 x4 955BE
GPU: ASUS HD5770 1GB
RAM: Kingston 2 x 4GB @ 1600mhz, 11-11-11-28-2T
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm 32mb
PSU: Inter-Tech Energon EPS 650w
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 Rev. B
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

Stock Voltages:
·CPU voltage ≈ 1.35v
·CPU-NB voltage = 1.175v
·HTT voltage = 1.2v
·SB voltage = 1.26v
·NB voltage = 1.1v
·CPU VDD = 2.5v
and DRAM voltage is set to 1.5v

Current cpu speed - 3,2ghz and cpu voltage 1,32v, as you can see I under voltaged it a bit. HT frequency is at 2000mhz and NB freq. is at 2200mhz.

I increase only multiplier since I don't want to OC my rams, I use only multi and CPU, CPU-NB voltages to adjust. After reinstalling windows and cleaning up my case, replacing thermal paste with new Arctic MX-2 I wanted to OC cpu again to 3,6ghz, but now I always seemed to get BSOD with errors: 03B and 124.

I get these errors mostly after a few minutes when logging into win7 user. I know that 03B is lack of cpu voltage, so I bumped it up till I wasn't getting 03B and then got the BSOD 124 error, as how much info I've found its related to memory/ram.

Even with multi set from 16 to 17 which gives me 3400mhz and vcore 1,36v pc doesn't crash while doing a Blend test with Prime95 but after few hours of playing it crashes again with BSOD error 124. So I dropped the ram speed, WHICH DIDN'T HELPED... also tried increasing ram timings, again no luck. Right now FSB is default 200. Now I have a question why the hell it has anything to do with the ram if I wasn't touching FSB ?

My comp just ALWAYS gives me BSOD with 124 error no matter how much I increase/decrease vcore, ram voltage, or down clock the rams. I can pass P95 Blend test but pc crashes after few hours of gaming, when it shouldn't.

I think I have good temps. 30C in idle and not more than 43C on full load.
WHAT I WANT TO DO is to make my pc stable, I'm aiming at 3,6ghz that perfectly fits me. Well as long as I don't reach the Heat Wall of 60C I'm fine.

So the question is: how can I get rid of that BSOD and make system more stable ?

Also I have a couple of questions:
1) Why it shows me memory error if I'm only playing with CPU multiplier not FSB?
2) The stock CPU-NB voltage is 1,175. Why my BIOS after 1,150v yellows it out? It means I'm reaching "warning zone" ? But why ? It still needs some more voltage there.

Last edited:
Here is a guide I have been using for BSOD codes. I have had many of them (101, 124, 1E, 116) and what it says has helped for me.

0x101 = increase vcore
0x124 = increase/decrease QPI/VTT first, if not increase/decrease vcore...have to test to see which one it is
on i7 45nm, usually means too little VVT/QPI for the speed of Uncore
on i7 32nm SB, usually means too little vCore
0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore
0x1A = Memory management error. It usually means a bad stick of Ram. Test with Memtest or whatever you prefer. Try raising your Ram voltage
0x1E = increase vcore
0x3B = increase vcore
0x3D = increase vcore
0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary, can also be unstable Ram, raise Ram voltage
0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances
0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x
0x109 = Not enough or too Much memory voltage
0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)
0x7E = Corrupted OS file, possibly from overclocking. Run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r

^^^^^ that's very confusing to somebody who doesn't know the difference between intel terms and AMD terms, just about every one of those options relates to an intel setting, not the best post for a guy needing help with a AMD CPU :-/

OK....
I did a ram test week ago and everything was ok with them.

Now about PSU.... is it really so crappy ? why ? :D can it be the wattage is too small ? It says that its a gaming power supply, also isnt it enough for my cpu and gpu to have 650w?

I'm sorry if I confused you with some terms, I'm not yet a pro in this OC'ing stuff, I just like to mess with settings :D If you can then can you tell me what I said wrong :D so I wont make similar mistakes next time ^^

OK....
I did a ram test week ago and everything was ok with them.

Now about PSU.... is it really so crappy ? why ? :D can it be the wattage is too small ? It says that its a gaming power supply, also isnt it enough for my cpu and gpu to have 650w?

I'm sorry if I confused you with some terms, I'm not yet a pro in this OC'ing stuff, I just like to mess with settings :D If you can then can you tell me what I said wrong :D so I wont make similar mistakes next time ^^
Lightsome the problem is this, the regulation on standards for PSU manufacturers isn't exactly tough. It seems as if anyone can put together a PSU and slap some stickers on it claiming it produces X amount of power. It may or it may not and even if it does produce 650w of power which I'd be surprised if it did it's probably not clean power. If a power supply goes bad it can take out the entire pc with it, especially if it's junk. We always recommend buying a quality unit, over ones we cannot find a single review on, which I couldn't on yours.

Last edited:
Damn then..! But thanks for a good reply ;D

When I bought it I didn't though it will be random ****. But wait... Does Inter Tech really suck so much ?

Anyways... If its not that good I still want to push everything to the maximum, I mean there wont even be maximum... as +400mhz wont really need so MUCH power, right ? Its just I want to raise my temps to 52C xD and make some benefit from it but I as I'm not so experienced here with the voltages it crashes :/

Also there's a switch on psu, I can change between A, L and H, does anyone know what it means and what it will change :D ?

(I guess this info about psu doesn't say anything ? http://www.inter-tech.de/index.php?...=125:ausland-atx-netzteile&Itemid=542&lang=en )

Last edited:
But wait... Does Inter Tech really suck so much ?
Well I really cannot tell you becuase I cannot find a single review on it, that in itself is usually telling. If it were my rig, I'd go spend $30.00 and get something like this before I try and push it. I wouldn't risk frying the entire pc by rolling the bones, using an unproven Psu. My 2c

Well I spent the same amount on my psu, actually it was a bit more than $50 so I didn't thought it would be bad as you say. Besides even now I don't really believe if the psu is at fault here for not letting me to oc.

I was stable with 4ghz when I oc'ed long time ago with ASUS's TurboV EVO.... but I don't like using programs, auto settings and similar stuff. Also it changed the cpu voltage over 1,5 which I don't like because I've seen people saying to use max 1,42-1,45v for 24/7.

I like everything original.. to change settings through the BIOS how its meant to be.
Don't mind my psu if you still don't trust it. I just want to oc a bit which wont be bad :) I don't mind letting it stay at 1,45v. I need to figure out why am I getting BSOD 124 error even though I'm just using cpu multiplier. I've seen a lot of people just increase their multi and core voltage without downclocking ram, well ok I can do it but downlocking rams didn't helped me XD. I've also played with not only CPU freq. but also NB and HT frequencies which helps a bit to stabilize my pc and it can last a bit longer without crashing.

Someone experienced with whole CPU/ CPU-NB/ NB voltage and frequency stuff explain it to me, please :)

Lightsome, the amount of money you spend has nothing to do with the quality of the unit. That said I never said your unit was bad what I said was it is suspicious because I cannot find a review on it and from what I have read Inter-Tech isn't known for quality units. It's your rig and you may do with it what ever you please. I wouldn't risk overclocking with that PSU because having it take out the rest of my pc if it goes would be more important to me. If you want to overclock on it that's your choice. Here is arguably the best guide to overclocking a Phenom cpu.

U got that correct "mandrake4565", that overclocking tutorial by Dolk is spot on and when finished, the user knows something about terminology and why or why not he cannot overclock.
RGone...

Mandrake, well yeah sorry chose incorrect word by saying "bad" yeah... suspicious is what I wanted to say :D

Then I have one question about these 2 units. Maybe I'll think of changing my PS ^^
http://www.seasonicusa.com/G-series-450-550-650.htm
http://www.inter-tech.de/index.php?...=125:ausland-atx-netzteile&Itemid=542&lang=en

of course the first one is better? But the second (mine) has a bigger Output, amps are higher. Still, the first is better ? Well of course it is since Corsair and Seasonic units are considered the best.

Actually I oc'ed cpu by following Dolk's guide a few months ago, now I get BSOD 124 :D

Poco242, if remember correctly voltages were 1,38-1,4. It seems that comp doesn't like them anymore :D

I also read people saying that sometimes its tricky/hard to oc with 8gb ram, is it true? Now when I think about it that time I had 2 x 2gb 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 and I was sitting at 3,4ghz because I had ****-like cooler I didn't go higher and when I bought this new cooler temps dropped a lot so I wanted to overclock but this time I have more ram sticks and they're more powerful, does it have anything to do with the CPU ? Maybe I need to set correct voltages for Memory Controller because now it cant keep up with the speeds ? Just making random assumptions xD

Last edited:
My choice would be the Seasonic without question and you don't need 650w, 500w is plenty.

I would think 1.38-1.4v would be plenty for that small of an overclock but I could be wrong.

As for PSU's I have the Corsair 500CX that was suggested and I got my 965 to OC to 4.38Ghz stable. I have read that a PSU that does not put out a clean voltage can case problems with OC'ing. Maybe your PSU is getting tired and that is why it won't OC anymore??

Yes but the question is - is it worth looking at Output ? Amps ? Or jus the brand matters :D

Also, what do you guys mean by "not producing clean voltage" ?

well if its noise then I cant hear anything at all. I can only hear my cpu fan noise which is low 30dB. Also I used that psu for almost 2 years and had no problems its still quiet and I cleaned it week ago (of course opened the whole thing lol)

Now what is bugging me:
1) Stock memory controller voltage should be 1,175 mine is only 1,135 at the moment because when I go to bios to set it to 1,175 the numbers change into yellow colors I was scared frying it and left it less than stock. Maybe that's the cause ? CPU/NB voltage is TOO low and it crashes ? Maybe its BIOS bug that's it becomes yellow ? (yes I have updated my bios). Would it be okay to go higher than it suggests ?

2) Is it worth trying dropping the FSB and increasing CPU multi again ?

Last edited:
Back