• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

knoppix fails to write to a FAT32 partition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

i have a machne dual booting knoppix 3.3 and winme...the larger drive has a FAT32 filesystem. why is it knoppix wont let me save or write things to this drive? its mounted, its not write protected, it has all permissions allowed...whats up with this?

FAT32 doesn't have any sort of concept of ownership, so the user that mounted the filesystem is the one who owns all the files on it (unless you use -o uid=1001, where 1001 is the number after your username in /etc/passwd). Are you trying to write as a normal user when the fs is mounted by root?
You can also double-check how everthing's mounted with mount. IIRC, Knoppix mounts everything ro unless you tell it to do otherwise.

Knoppix does not mount it as writable by default. you have to do it.

Edit: OOps I didn't read the last line of Christoph's post till after I posted :D

ive mounted it, set it as writeable.....also, i did the noob's way install, so there isnt like any users. I know thats not good and ill change that once this is all figured out. Also, for some reason if i write to a floppy disk, it cannot be read on a windows machine. meaning if i export a file as a .doc or save over an existing windows file, it gives me some sort of error or hangs the program....but right now im more concerned about my hard drisks...

tried writing as root from the command line?
mv /path/to/some/file /mnt/hda#

Back