• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Work Units

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiveForThis

Registered
So how many work units (I think thats what I am thinking of) should the average PC have? I am running a P4 1.79GHz and was getting about 250-400 earlier today. I ran that Core thing (which I think was done right) and now have 5000. Im never going to get that done. Why did I get so much?

Lol, I have no clue what you mean. There are the following:

WUs: which you download and finish one at a time (of course sometime one won't send right away so it sits there 'till it does).
Project #: Ranging from 180-1041. You can see how many points a unit from each project is worth here.
Frames: Either 100 or 400. Just how many "steps" there are in the project.
Points: Under different categories, such as team, member, week, day, etc.

Also, a 100 frame WU has 250,000... uh I dunno what their called but 2500 are completed w/ each frame.

If you haven't already you can use EXOC Stats for checking your pointage/work unit completage.

Alot of this you probably already know, I'm just trying to figure out what exactly you mean. I also dunno what you mean by "Core thing". Which client are you running, w/ which flags?

It says the following:

WU Progress
1150/5000
(23 Percent)

Normally, the most I would have was 600. Now, after running that core thing it jumps to 5000.

Im new, so you will have to forgive me. Still learning all the ins and outs of the folding business;)

LiveForThis said:
It says the following:

WU Progress
1150/5000
(23 Percent)

Normally, the most I would have was 600. Now, after running that core thing it jumps to 5000.

Im new, so you will have to forgive me. Still learning all the ins and outs of the folding business;)

Those are frames. I haven't figured it out but some work units have 200 frames, some 400, in your case 5000, i have one with 10,000. But in all cases they go up in increments of 1%. Weird....

Reason I asked is because I thought you were assigned work based on what your computer was. This is nothing special, but im getting more frames than my main rig. 600 for main, 5000 for folding only rig. Thought it was somewhat weird.

However, I am flying. I am up to 1850 now (37%).

I am curious, how do the points work? When I complete this, how many points will I get?

And something weird that is going on which I dont want to make a new thrad for. Down where the icons go (next to the time) I have the Outlook and Folding@Home icons. The thing is, when I put the mouse cursor over Outlook I get the Folding@Home stats and when I put it over the Folding@Home icon I get Microsoft Outlook. However, I double click the right icon to open each program.

Okay, if you have a gormach then you will get loads of frams, tinkers do not. But gormachs seem to go up in large numbers and are genrally shorter thaninkers.

What version of the client are you using, the GUI or the text cleint with EM3? If you look in your log file there actually steps not frames, and the amount ranges from work unit to work unit, and also between Gromac core and tinker cores. When the work unit is completed (all steps or frames are done) then you get the points that particular Wu is worth which should be displayed in your client, you get awarded points per Work Unit not per step or frame.

-Chris

Back