• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Leap CPU Specs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GV2NIX

I'm thinking of getting a Power Leap PL-iP3/T 1.4 GHz Intel Celeron for my Mom's computer. It's an Old Dell Dimension XPS R450 and although it doesn't need to be a performer, it is in desperate need of an upgrade.

Anyways, my question is, does anyone know what size the fan on the HSF assembly is? Just by eye-balling, it looks like 80mm, but does anyone know for sure? If it's loud I want to change it out, but I want to make sure I have the right size so I can order the fan in advance.

Also, the Dimension XPS R450 specs say that the "system clock is 100 MHz (Matches external processor speed)" Does that mean if I put in a processor that can make use of FSB133 it'll change to 133? This system is so old, I'm having trouble understanding how it's set up. I would appreciate all the help you can give me, thanks guys!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to use a 133 FSB on that mobo, It is a 440BX board, and being a Dell, I'm sure the Bios isn't sophisticated enough to make that board run over 100, though most 440BX boards were capable of running a higher FSB than 100. The "Matches external processor speed" bit I'm pretty sure is referring to 66 FSB PII's/Celerons.

I looked at Powerleap's site, and I'm pretty sure the fan on there is a 60mm, not an 80. An 80mm fan would be taller than a slot 1 processor. The fan looks similar to the model used on the older boxed Athlon XP's and wasn't particularly quiet, though it shouldn't be too noticeable in a closed case.

80mm arn't used for CPUs.

A Celeron 1.4ghz Wont be better than a P3 900mhz-1ghz.

What is the stock processor?

The powerleap with the 1.4G Celeron is the best upgrade for the Dell. I benchmarked a 1.4G Celeron and a socket 370 P3 133fsb. The 1.4 scored really high CPU marks but the 100fsb slowed the 3DMark 2001SE score to almost the same(slightly lower) as the 1G P3.

Foxie:

What are you supposed to use on an SLK900 then? A 60mm? But yeah... not on a slot 1, unless ducted (like some dells are) and, I looked up the specs on the XPS R450 to confirm that it was a 450 MHz PII like I thought.

Jason:

You'll need to download the latest BIOS from Dell also. Although its not the fastest upgrade, a cheaper way to go, if the board's revision works with it (and most dells similar to that I've seen will) would be to get a PIII 850 socket 370 and a slocket. And for Internet and word processing tasks it would be quite snappy if given enough RAM.

The Powerleap should come with a heatsink, I think they have a 60X25 fan. This is fine for the Celeron, they run very cool. You can lap the heatsink to give a little better cooling.

My time was limited, so I went ahead and got the Power Leap 1.4 Celeron. The fan mounted on it was an Evercool running at about 5billion RPM, so I changed it to a Vantec Stealth 60mm. I was going to use an adapter and put a 80mm fan on it, but the adapter made the cartridge too thick and the fan would be pressing against the RAM modules, I didn't think that was a good idea, so I just replaced the 60mm fan.

It work pretty well. I mean, hell of a lot faster than a Pentium II 450, but given more time, maybe I should've swapped the mobo and done something more, probably would've cost less too. Of course, the Intel board in there won't let me do anything except look at specs. I can't even monitor temperatures, so I just guestimated my temps by putting my finger on the heatsink, haha! What a restrictive board...I can't even view voltages, but the Power Leap cartridge has jumpers for that. Oh well, nice hassle-free upgrade for this type of setup. Good service too by the way in case any of you were wondering! ^^

To put another motherboard in the Dell case, you will need to buy an ATX powersupply. The Dell powersupply is proprietary. Also you will need to convert the front control panel ribbon to ATX connectors. The slower 60mm fan should cool the celeron without any problems, they run very cool and the stock heatsinks are small.

Yeah, the connections are all screwy. I'm just going to leave it as is. I got it up and running and I think it's adequte for what my Mom needs. Ran Prime 95 for 3 days with no problems, so I guess it's pretty stable too.

It would be too much work for me to overhaul this sytem. Gotta replace too many things. Plus, I hate working in this case! Thanks for the info guys! =)

Back