• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get two hubs to work together.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

Ok, I have one hub in my machanical room. All the cat5 is ran in wall to each room and plugged into that hub. I want two computers to be networked in my room, and I only have one jack in there, so I'm putting a spare hub in my room. On the hub in the machanical room I have a switch that will make port 12 crossedover. I also have a spare crossover cable that I would rather use than a patch cable. So I make sure switch is on "non crossover," plug the crossover cable in to the jack in my room. Plug the other end into the 2nd hub, and run a patch cable from the second hub to my comp. NOTHIN! The 2nd hubs like lights up for both ports, but on the 1st hub the light does not turn green or anything... it should work. Hub1 is a 100Mbps hub, Hub2 is 10mbps. I have also tried moving the cable to different ports on both hubs, running a patch cable from my wall jack to hub2 and switching crossedover on (only using port 12 of course). And I've tried taking hub2 in the machanical room and plugging them together in there w/ both types of cables. And yes I have tested hub2 and it works fine. Just wondering what the heck is wrong here. For the life of me hub1 will not see hub2 but the opposite is true.

I have a switch coming monday, so I'll use that... but it would be nice to figure this out.

Possibly Hub1's 100Mbps port doesn't like Hub2's 10Mbps port. Is Hub1 able to autonegotiate speed? (I have seen hubs that are compatible with some equipment, but not others) Can you force a Hub1 port to 10Mbps rather than hope that it automatically does so? In all likelyhood, the switch will work more nicely with either hub than the hubs do between themselves.

Only two switches I see. THe crossover, and segment. And I can change the hub ID 1-9 I think. The one in the mach room is an SMC, and the other one is a 3com.

Sometimes on cheapo hubs there is a port dedicated to crossover, I know on the netgear hubs it was port 5, so you didn't need to use a crossover cable. And since a hub is just a repeater, you'll need to set the computers ethernet cards to use 10 or 100 if auto negotiation doesn't work.

Back