• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with webpage layers/frames

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
Here is what I am trying to do. And let me know I am making this overly complicated.

new2.JPG.png

Alright. So I am going to have the 'News and Updates' section with just normal text. Then I have the other box in there... I would like to be able to draw a frame, in that box. Then from there, make it so the different links (at top and bottom) open themselves inside that frame.

the current page I have is framed, but just normally.

Is there anyway I can do this? I am using frontpage 2003 for most of this stuff. I made the website in photoshop, and did the image maps, and all that there...I just do not know where to go from there.

Thanks a lot.

So, you have thus far:
2 frames: a top bar frame and a bottom frame:

In the bottom frame, you have two frames:
a left menu bar frame and a right content frame.

Is that correct thus far?

You want to make sure that all links open up in that lower right content frame?

I just want to make sure I totally understand the question. -- Paul

It does not really matter to me how the whole frame thing is setup. I do not need a different frame for everything. I could modify the news section normally. I just do not know how to make that certain section open up the links.

I can import this page to dreamweaver if someone tells me how to do this. I am just unaware of how to use that program for the most part.

I think i will only need two frames total. Since the only thing that is going to be changing is the content frame....

Okay, that makes sense. Sorry -- it's hard to completely derive the frame structure from that jpeg.

At any rate, you need to give the frame in question a name. For example:

<FRAME SRC="news.html" NAME=NEWS_CONTENT>

I'm not sure how to do that in FrontPage (I do all my html coding by hand.), but you should be able to view the HTML source or otherwise modify the properties of the objects.

Then, suppose you have a link that you want to open in that frame. Then you need to specify a target in the link:

< a href="www.cnn.com" target=NEWS_CONTENT>www.cnn.com</a >

Again, as I only do webpage coding in raw HTML, I can't tell you how to do this in FrontPage, but you should be able to modify advanced properties of the HTML links. -- Paul

Back