• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought the wrong PSU....... Apparently !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pyramus

Hi all,

I am in the process of building myself a new pc. I have bought some of the components already and waiting for the good old postman to bring the others.

When I last posted a thread on here with my spec so far. I got like a billion people telling me stay clear of my PSU.

I bought a Q-tec 400WP Dual Fan Gold PSU.

Q-Tec seems to be a bad word on these forums!!

I didn't realise. I should have asked you guys before I bought it.

Is my PSU really that bad? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks

I don't think Q-Tec is the devil's power supply to the point Deer is, but they are certainly leaving a lot to be desired for many of their owners. I definitely wouldn't buy one if you paid me though - to not even have UL approval is a big no-no for me.

For a replacement, I would suggest Fortron/Sparkle 350w and 400w w/120mm fan, Fortron 530w, or Antec/Channel Well 430w or better.

Thanks guys, I think I will go for one of them instead. Just in case the q-tec screws up everything.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the benefit of higher watts?

A higher wattage power supply is not everything, a 470w PSU can be better than 550w, stable voltage rails are what comes with quality, they seperate the cheap from the expensive i.e. good from the bad

CCW said:
A higher wattage power supply is not everything, a 470w PSU can be better than 550w, stable voltage rails are what comes with quality, they seperate the cheap from the expensive i.e. good from the bad

And stable voltage increases system stability. Especially when Overclocking. ATX standards allow for 5% fluctuation. Most cheap PSU's start at the low end of that percentage and get worse as you add loads.

The psu supplies the life blood of your system, don't be bled by a cheap PSU.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I am building a P4 3.2ghz system with a P4C800 Mobo and a high end grafx card (undecided) with Audigy 2.

What PSU should I be looking at?

See my post above, but take out the Fortron 350w - it would struggle with a P4 that speed :)

Antec 430/480/550 TruePower are great. the fortron 530 is another
good one.

as Oklahoma Wolf stated, the fortron/sparkle 350 is not enough power
for > 3.2Ghz (P4). add a graphics card that requires a molex connector and
it will really be swamped. my sparkle 350 got me to 3.2Ghz @ 1.5v but
that was before i purchased a 9800.

good luck with your build/OC.

rich

i wouldnt say its fair to say q-tec = bad and that power supply would most likely have been fine powering that system. ive had my 550w version for around a year and a half now and its never let me down. the only thing thats been faulty is one of the cooling fans which started to buzz and that was cured with some new led fans. i would certainly consider letting one power my next machine no matter how good. i know power supplies are all about quality but i do believe that for the 550w at least it is up their with the better brands. rant over:p

Back