• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Criticize Me Please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
4 peltiers? Heatsinks on the res? hmm interesting. What are you going to cool the 4 peltiers with? 3 Caprice heatercores may do the trick.

EDIT: No pump, and the water that's cooling the NB and VRAM isn't being cooled. I don't see how this can work without 2 pumps.

Okay I plan to put some huger pure custom made copper heatsinks on the peltiers that are cooling the resevoir. They will only be running at 5 volts...so they won't create that much heat. The setup is going in a full tower case, so i'm gonna have some fans at the top of my big res(4-5liter) pulling the hot air off the heatsinks...and maybe some ducts too.

My main thing was if I run the nearly freezing water through my heater core....will I be able to vent real real cool air through my system. About the condensation I'll be spraying the mobo and all the components with conformal spray.

Oh yah that blue square below the water res with all the lines is a heater core.

More criticizism please :D

What are you gonna use to power all 4 pelts?

Personally, I would only use a max of 2 pelts. Check the classifieds section if you're looking for a powerful pelt PSU :)

Also you have to understand the circular flow in your system. It's like a perpetual motion machine, in that such a thing isn't possible because nothing is 100% effiecient. Allow me to explain.

You're bringing cold air IN from the radiator, but that air is only cold because it was cooled by the water, which is cooled by the pelts.
Well pelts aren't 100% efficient so they will output more heat than they will remove. This means that the water will get warmer and warmer and the cold air coming in will get warmer and warmer and this will eventually lead to system failure.

I'm not sure if you understand what I'm trying to say, because it's kind of complicated, but such a system would never work. That's why people always send the heat generated by the pelts outside of the case and bring in fresh cold air from somewhere else. This way the heat generated by the pelts is no longer in the eqauation and the cold air comes in from some other source.

It's kind of like attaching two motors together, spinning one manually expecting them to go on forever since one will power the other, but because of ineffieciencies that will never work.

Very nice analogy, Omega.

My understanding is that pelts are best at focussing cooling on small areas, and are less good at cooling air and water. Also, simply sticking the pelts on the side of the res doesn't seem the most efficient way. You would want to have some kind of heatsink on the cold side of the pelt too, to maximize the surface area in contact with the water.

mmmm...okay on the pumps thing, of course there will be pumps...sorry for not including them. A powerful pump (400-500)GPH for the cpu and gpu, and a weak one (200-300) GPH for the northbridge and videocard memory. I plan to have ducts for the heatsinks on the sides of the water resevoir. They will be on the sides..not on the top, bottom, or front. I just did that in the picture to show that I would have pelts cooling the water res.

The hot air will rise from the pelt ducts and I dont mind too much about cold air coming in.....If i cool the water with the pelts than the air from the heatercore should be cold right?....and even if it does warm up I'll still have colder air coming in from the front of the case.

if you want to chill the water to subambient, i would ditch the pelts on the res and go with a phasechange water chiller.

just look at all the heat you will need to remove from the water. 100 watts from cpu, 300 from cpu pelt, 30+100 (from tec) off gpu, and another 100 from the nb/pelt. thats over 600 watts of heat. to cool that with another set of pelts, you will need like six 226 pelts.

add up the cost of all those pelts, the 2000 watt powersupply, and the monster heatsinks/fans/noise that you need to remove 2000 watts of heat.

just go get a window AC unit from home depot and mod it to chill the water.

I think you like squirrel balls....hobo, jk. Anyways i'm buying a minifridge from my friend for like 20 bucks, I'm not sure if it has a compresser in it or not but if it can how would I go about modding it to cool water?

The pelts are like 10 dollars a piece...and the sinks i'll be using will cost like 5 dollars....seeing as i'll be machining them myself. How would it be inefficeint to cool the water with pelts if they're running only 5 volts....and all the heat removed from them goes out the top sides of the computer?

for the setup in your drawing you will need something along the lines of two hundred amps, a 10amp supply would explode if you put that load on it.

minifridges usually use a pelt to cool the inside. even if it has a compressor, i think you would still be much better off getting a window ac unit.

200 amps....where are you getting those numbers, the pelts on my cpu and gpu will draw about 15, CPU-10, GPU-5. Northpelt will draw about 5, and the memory ones will draw like...1 or 2. The ones for the resevoir will draw less than 4 each due to the fact they'll be running at 5V......the pumps will be run on each line, and the powersupply for my main components will be ENERMAX Noisetake 420W. 200??

Back